any heat-treatable thin steel plate/strip recommendations?

Hello all,

Could someone recommend a steel that is:

1) available in thin but large sizes, i.e., 24 in x 24 in x .020 thick 2) heat treatable to a high degree (Rc 40+) 3) relatively cheap

I was thinking some sort of spring steel would be good, but it seems to only be available in relatively narrow sizes that are already heat treated.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks,

Mike

Reply to
mike

Since you haven't mentioned where you are i'll start with a suggestion for a UK company

. Of your 3 requirements it may be an issue of pick any 2. I have bought spring steel before in 0.065" and above but the sheet size was minimum 13" x

72". That was from West Yorkshire steel
, they do do thinner IIRC.
Reply to
David Billington

Try this place:

I bought several thousand feet of C1075 annealed spring steel from them, slit to my specs. No problems. They also had the best pricing I could find in the US.

Bill

Reply to
BillM

AISI 4130 qualifies, depending on your definition of "cheap."

Reply to
Ned Simmons

You want to cut/bend it and then heat-treat it? That's not so easy for

0.020 stock. I think thin, hard steel such as shim stock and music wire are generally hardened by cold working.
Reply to
Jim Wilkins

5-15 ph stainless would not be cheap unless you found it surplus. But the heat treatment is very easy.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

And would be much less likely to warp in the process. 17-4 would also work, maybe 17-7 as well.

Reply to
Ned Simmons