Any HSMs in Hickory area of NC?

I just moved from Broward county, Florida to retire in Granite Falls, NC (Hickory area). In FL I had a nice shop with a 12X36 lathe and a baby Bridgeport (that I converted to CNC). I sold the lathe and mill to a couple of metalworking friends rather then moving them. Now, I will be setting up shop in the new home. I will be aquiring a lathe and mill to replace the ones I sold.

I miss my metalworking buddies. Is there anyone in my area into home shop machining?

Reply to
Rich Goldner

Hi,

Welcome to NC. I've been setting up [for several years now] a wood and metalworking, basement hobby shop in our retirement (Boeing, Olin-Winchester) home in Fletcher, NC. My interests are flintlock Kentucky rifles, violins and astronomy telescopes. I'm also looking for a smallish knee mill and a lathe. You may find helpful the following eBay search link for 'metalworking equipment' within a 200 mile radius of Hickory zip code

28601. Western North Carolina (WNC) isn't exactly the Mecca of quality used machine tools :-)

Also the following eBay search link for 'metalworking and manufacturing' within 50 miles of 28601 zip code and nets small tools.

If you've any interest in woodworking, Hickory has Klingspor's

David Merrill

Reply to
David Merrill

I'm in Charlotte, so not next door but fairly close. There's a classified newspaper that has an edition local to your area that's worth watching:

You can search online but you'll have to pick up a copy to get actual contact info.

Also, there's a craigslist site for Charlotte but it's fairly new so there hasn't been much on it so far:

There's a Harbor Freight in Charlotte and a Wholesale Tool store which is a great source for cutters, endmills, etc. They're similar to MSC or Enco but smaller.

And if you get on Harbor Freight's mailing list for store flyers they'll send you some pretty decent coupons. They've been sending one good for 20% off on any one item lately and it's really nice for bigger items!

There's also a surplus dealer that has a bit of everything in the Gastonia area (a fair bit closer to you) that's worth checking out from time to time. Mostly smaller items like chucks, abrasives, a few welding supplies, etc. I don't have the info for him handy right now though so if you're interested let me know and I'll see if I can find it.

Welcome to NC!

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Reply to
Keith Marshall

I'm North of Greensboro, probably a two hour drive.

Watch the auctions as they do come up from time to time. Charlotte just lost a gear making firm that had some nice stuff. Also keep an eye on the NC State surplus auctions as they part with machinery from time to time.

Steve.

Reply to
SteveF

Yep, i have a import 12x36, craftsman/atlas 12x36 & larger size mill/drill from harbor freight. Names Chuck & i live in Newton area and like to mess with machining but nothing serious. There is a equipment auction the 4th friday of each month, in charlotte where you can sometimes find a good deal on used equip. If you have any questions email me or just reply yo this post. Oh yea check the local Iwanna trade paper, its (iwanna.com)

Reply to
tucker

I'm located near Raleigh, and just getting into turning -- currently fixing up a Cincinnati Traytop lathe that I found via the triangle.forsale newsgroup -- but to be honest, I think Craigslist and other resources already mentioned here are a better bet for finding equipment. Welcome to NC!

Andy

Reply to
Andrew H. Wakefield

I'd love to know more about that one! I go to a lot of auctions in the Charlotte area but I haven't heard of any that are monthly. Sounds like I'm missing a good one. :-)

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Reply to
Keith Marshall

Thanks for the tips guys.

Reply to
Rich Goldner

The Klingspor sanding and grinding disks, belts, sheets are for both wood and metal. They are so close to wood that wood is there main business.

I've used it for many years and it continues on being the best.

Martin

Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

David Merrill wrote:

Martin H. Eastburn

I moved to Snow Hill, NC about 6 months ago, new shop is in the planning stages, and would also like to connect up with other home shop enthusiasts in my area. Woodwork and metalwork. I usually do my shopping in the Carolina Bargain Trader magazine, in the tools and equipment section. Ads in that section are free if under $1,500. Link is

if anyone in Eastern NC is interested.

RJ

Reply to
Backlash

The auction in Charlotte is on the 4th friday of every month, its on hwy16 going into charlotte shortly after the city limints, starts @ 9 am & last until, they have a web page, its Godly or Godley auction, its farm,construction & machine equipment. Its a all day outside auction, items vary but they allways have alot of good well used american made stuff.

Reply to
tucker

Thanks! I knew about that one but had the impression it was mostly farm equipment. Guess I'd better check it out! :-)

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Reply to
Keith Marshall

try the NC State Surplus website. they have occasional auctions up near you, might be a good way to find stuff and folks.

I'm in Sneads Ferry, just south of Jacksonville, NC A mere mortar round south of Camp Lejeune :-)

If there are any HSMs >I just moved from Broward county, Florida to retire in Granite Falls, NC

Reply to
Bradford Chaucer