Any ideas?

My neighbour asked me to see if I could get his Sears snow blower going. Had a good mild day so I went at it in two feet of snow in his back yard. First, there is plenty of gas but no spark to speak of just a tingle when I complete the cct between the plug wire and ground. Seems as if there might be a short to ground or magneto problems.

Are there any really common faults to look for?

Reply to
Bill Darby

Water in the mag. My old cement mixer was always a pain after it rained. WD-40

Reply to
Sunworshipper

Tecumseh or Briggs and Stratton? How old is the machine?

If it's a Briggs and still has points, check them first. You can get a tune up kit at Lowes or Home Depot for about $6. You would be better off converting to electronic ignition if you can find that kit locally (lawnmower shops should have them for about $10-$15). That way you don't have to remove the flywheel.

I just replaced the ignition magneto coil in a BS-that cost $40 but has the electronic ignition built in.

I would expect prices and setup to be similar in a Tecumseh, but I can't swear to that...

Reply to
Rick

Also check the flywheel magnets, they should be fairly strong. Pat

Reply to
Pat Ford

Check the points first. As long as you are checking them you might as well clean them even if they look clean. Even a very thin coat of oil can lead to weak spark. Check the clearance between the magneto and flywheel if the magneto is on the outside. If it's a briggs make sure the little rod that pushes on the points moves freely. If all these check out then the magneto coil may have moisture in it. Bake in the oven at about 200 degrees for a couple hours. Then just turn off the oven and let the coil cool in the oven. It sounds crazy but after I was told about this I rescued several magneto coils. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

Remove the big nut (or starter clutch) that holds the flywheel on. Look at the Woodruff Key (that positions the flywheel to the crankshaft) See if it is sheared or even partially sheared. If it is, the timing will be off. The key is a soft Zinc alloy and functions as a shear pin in case of sudden stoppage. DO NOT replace it with a hard metal key. Note: it is not necessary to remove the flywheel to do this check although it will to replace the key.

Hope this helps

Roger in Vegas.

Reply to
Roger Hull

Just wanted to thank you guys for the prompt help (Sun, Rick, Pat, Eric & Roger) My neighbour Ted and I just dragged the blower out of the snow in his back yard and across the street into my shop (heated garage). The plan is to let her sit for a day before doing anything rash and let her warm up and dry out. With a little luck maybe that's all she'll need. I have always managed to keep my own small gas engines going but I cannot declare myself an expert. Not by a long shot.

So we'll see how it goes and as things progress I'll be looking to use the info you've given me.

Thanks much

Bill D

Reply to
Bill Darby

I've had problems with mice eating the spark plug wire on my Sears snowblower. Are there any nut shells around the snowblower?

Wayne

Reply to
Wayne

Hi Wayne!!!!

Ha ha I don't know about nutshells the damned thing was in a field in two feet of snow for a month or so.

I just wanted to say I enjoy the "how to" pictures of your tail stock build.

Great lathe hand as well. (Gotta teach em young) I was about 50 when I learned to do what that dear young gal is doing.

Thanks Bill

Reply to
Bill Darby

Bill,

Sorry, but you've got the wrong Wayne. There seems to be quite a few of us around this newsgroup.

Wayne D.

Reply to
Wayne

Re: Any ideas? by "Rick" Jan 14, 2005 at 03:54 PM

Tecumseh or Briggs and Stratton? How old is the machine?

If it's a Briggs and still has points, check them first. You can get a tune up kit at Lowes or Home Depot for about $6. You would be better off converting to electronic ignition if you can find that kit locally (lawnmower shops should have them for about $10-$15). That way you don't have to remove the flywheel.

I just replaced the ignition magneto coil in a BS-that cost $40 but has the electronic ignition built in.

I would expect prices and setup to be similar in a Tecumseh, but I can't swear to that...

By way of a follow up:

I let the blower set for the better part of three days before I tried anything. When I did try .... no luck! Still no spark.

I didn't realize that the ignition was tucked away inside of the flywheel. In any case all was revealed when I jury rigged my spring depressors to act as a wheel puller and got her under a little tension and she popped off with a good crack with a hammer.

I looked all over this engine and still don't know who made it but she does have points so I assume she's a briggs???? (as per your comment) Anyway, visually everything seems ok. Points are clean and I readjusted the riding block so that it was just touching the low side of the cam with the points closed.

No dice. Still no spark! So I will be looking for the electronic ignition conversion kit you mentioned.

Thanks Bill

Reply to
Bill Darby