husqvarna motorcycle motor question

I picked up a 1979 Husqvarna 250wr dirk bike the other day, the price was right so I took the drive, well it looked real good and was dirt cheap. Its complete, no dents on the tank and for the most part looks like new. BUT the motor has a stiff clutch (I think I fixed that) and no compression. I pulled the head (this is a 2 stroke) it has no head gaskget????? is this correct???. I do see some scoring in the cylinder so I might just pull the jug to get a better look, but hte deeper you go the more it costs.

A bunch of typing to ask do these use a head gastget or did the old owner just forget to put one in??

Reply to
wayne mak

Some had a copper ring, some had a copper gasket.

Before you do ANYTHING. Put in a new plug, ground it and kick it. If there is no spark throw it in the trash heap. The ignition on these things are great until they go bad and then they are expensive! If you don't ground the plug properly it will find a path to ground and it tends to be right at the magneto coil.

Pistons, bore jobs and head gaskets are cheap. I had a 1984? WR430. What a bike! Only two-stroke bike that survived the Yuma sand dunes without overheating or seizing. Of course I only weighed 160 lbs and had a 430, need I say more? (SMILE!!) I bought it from a friend after bringing a plug to test the ignition. It was left in his yard by a previous tenant.

Sold it before I killed myself with it.

Bart D. Hull snipped-for-privacy@inficad.com Tempe, Arizona

Check

my Subaru Engine Conversion Check
Tango II I'm building.

Remove -nospam to reply via email.

wayne mak wrote:

Reply to
Bart D. Hull

Naw, Wayne: The OO removed the head gasket in an attempt to raise the compression. Musta not worked, though.

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Was it a WR430 Auto? Strange feeling riding that bike.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

Nope, WR430 Enduro. I don't remember if it was a 5 or 6 speed.

I did get to ride a Husky auto (and a Guzzi auto). Wasn't very impressed as it seemed to shift at all the wrong times. (Like going up a steep hill and it would upshift due to rpm at bottom of hill and not downshift until it was too late and spun the tire and lost any momentum I had going.)

That was quite awhile ago. I don't think anyone makes a auto dirtbike anymore other than kids bikes.

Bart D. Hull snipped-for-privacy@inficad.com Tempe, Arizona

Check

my Subaru Engine Conversion Check
Tango II I'm building.