kinda OT-camouflage paint on a budget

the tank is made of metal and i thought someone might want to paint
camouflage colors on something so this may help as a reference.
I repainted my enduro bike (1972 Yamaha CT2). I used a "sand" colored base
coat, then random shots of "hunter green". I then sponged in a little flat
black. I used a handfull of maple leaves and sprayed around the edges here
and there with the green and sand paint. Total cost was about $10.00 for
the materials (spray can paint, sponge, sandpaper, and a handfull of
leaves). The only problem is that gasolene will lift the paint. Within the
next couple months the paint gets a little tougher and it's not so much of a
problem (just fill the tank carefully). A two part clear would do the trick,
so maybe i'll have a friend clear the tank when he's painting a car at his
shop next time.
Here are a few pics.

Walt
Reply to
wallster
Cute. But you shot the front signals, and not the back ones?? Do the back ones too, the fronts look great.
Nice job. I've discovered I have no clue at all about painting bike parts. I painted my the fairing for my new bike about 8 times before I finally gave up and just shot it flat black out of desperate frustration.
My daughter was watching my 'progress' and said "I thought it was some kind of zen motorcycle thing. You paint it, you sand it off. You paint it, you sand it off. How long was *that* gonna go on for?"
Jim
Reply to
jim rozen
Cool. Is that a compression release next to the sparkplug? I haven't seen/heard one of those in decades.
Fred
Reply to
ff
(...)
Fuel petcock would be my guess.
--Winston
Reply to
Winston
Between the fuel petcock and the sparkplug cap in the first photo, I see something else. Compression releases were a popular ad-on about the time that bike was originally sold in the late 60's--early 70's. Two stroke bikes often came with a second hole tapped in the head, or a shop would do it for a small charge. You could either put in a compression release or a spare spark plug---not a bad idea because they tended to foul plugs.
Fred
Reply to
ff
Ah, now I see what you're referring to. Could be a compression release but I don't see the obligitory little lever on the handlebars.
Yup. Had one on my BSA B50T one lunger. (Arrgh) It was four stroke though. --Winston
Reply to
Winston
Fred, i believe you're correct, it's tapped for a compression release. There is a spark plug in the hole right now (with a boot to protect the plug) Riders used to throw a spare in the hole in case of a fouled plug (2 stroke engines foul plugs because of the oil/fuel mixture) Oddly enough, I have the service manual for the bike and there is no mention to the other tapped hole in the head.
walt
Reply to
wallster