How do I remove enamel paint from a plasic canopy?

I have been given a 90% finshed 72" Stuka. I would like to finish it in desert colours, but the canopy struts have been painted black (probably with enamel) - and need to be sandy colour if the rest of the plane is in desert finish.

...what can I use that will be strong enough to get the paint off, but not melt the canopy?

Thanks

David Bevan

junk1

There are a number of ways to do it. There are commercial strippers like "Strip-a-Kit" (no clue on source for the UK) which work to lift the paint, and that old modeler's standby, brake fluid.

But if the paint was neatly applied remasking and two or three coats of sand would probably make a more realisitic finish (considering how much German equipment -- AFVs and aircraft -- were repainted for the desert.

Cookie Sewell

Reply to
AMPSOne

EZ Off oven cleaner works great. Don't know if that brand is available in the UK or not. Seem to recall seeing it on shelves when I used to visit over there.

John Alger IPMS 10906 Charlotte Scale Modelers

Reply to
John

Reply to
e303s3006

refer to the URL under

"Paints, Colour Charts, Mix Formulae & Strippers & How to spray F/Glass and ABS plastics - see also Airbrush files above."

at Alan's Hobby Model & RC Web Links

Regards Alan T. Alan's Hobby Model & RC Web Links

A.T.

But if you get any of the mineral spirits on the clear areas they will craze.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

Then your interior is probably set. Just paint on the outside frames whatever scheme you want. The inside colour will probably pass for Grau

02 where it can be seen.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

I've _never_ had that happen. At the worst clear parts may get a bit dulled but almost anything will polish them back up with little effort.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

I had it happen recently on that German glider from Revell of Germany. Indeed the crazing was slight, and some Future took care of it, but it can happen.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota