Stripping Enamel Paint from Brass

We have some old parts that are machined brass bar stock that was painted with black enamel paint. After years of service, the parts are ugly! The paint has worn off and in some cases (i.e. marine applications) the metal has turned green. I want to strip the parts, repaint and re-use them.

Is there a good chemical method? Maching them is a possibility, but I'm trying to find the easiest/cheapest/best way.

In case it matters, the part looks like a bullet that is about 1 inch long and has an O.D. of 1 inch. There is a 3/8-24 thread that is about 1/2 inches deep and a screwdriver slot on the other end.

Thanks.

Reply to
Rileyesi

Soak them submerged overnight in a closed container with lacquer thinner. Whatever paint is left, just brush it off with a stiff bristle brush.

BB

Reply to
beeperboy

I have had good luck with Jasco, (a methylene chloride based paint stripper) For parts this small, I would put them in a can and submerge the parts and cover the can. All the paint should rinse off with water or a little scrubbing.

You should be able to find this at any paint or hardware store.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 04:56:23 GMT, beeperboy pixelated:

I had luck soaking brass hinges, etc., overnight in mineral spirits when I was out of lacquer thinner (yes, it's really unthinkable to be out of a daily necessity like LT.), so he can try that, too. Even the paint on parts above the liquid line had crinkled and soaked clean. It was great.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I agree 100% on the methylene chloride based stripper. You can find it in the paint department at Wal-Mart under many different names. Most of the products are in a jelly form, but they will all strip paint like crazy.

Be careful. Not only will it cut through paint like a hot knife through butter, it is also .... liquid cancer. It is a carcinogen. Bad stuff to breathe, and it will absorb into skin easily. I am not aware of any gloves that will protect you. Use it outside, and be responsible.

The good thing is it is not flammable like acetone or mineral spirits are, and it won't harm the brass at all.

Dave

Reply to
David A. Webb