Enamel paint removal from plastic models

A while ago, someone posted a question about removing paint from plastic models. I read the thread, but at the time, I didn't think I would need the info, so it just got placed in a part of my brain that I can't find the map for. Well, now I need the info to remove enamel from a car model. Could someone please repost the solutions?

Reply to
willshak

I used to spray Easy-off oven cleaner on it, then let it soak for a few hours in a plastic bag. Most of the paint flaked off.

Reply to
eyeball

Spray with oven cleaner, wait 15 minutes, rinse with cold water and scrub with an old toothbrush. It won't harm the plastic, but may cause model putty to crach and crumble. May require a second treatment to get all the paint. Make sure you do it in a well-ventilated room or outside, and wear rubber gloves to protect your skin.

Other popular choices are brake fluid and Pine Sol.

Reply to
Wayne C. Morris

on 4/24/2008 1:49 PM Wayne C. Morris said the following:

Thanks to you and eyeball. I dug out the Easy Off from under the sink and I notice it is the new formula. Cold oven, no fumes. I sprayed it on some spare parts that I had painted red and put them in a plastic bag, as eyeball noted. I left it on for 15 minutes and tried to rub some of the paint off through the bag. It didn't even turn the Easy Off liquid red on the bag, or even pink. We'll see if the new stuff works over time.

Reply to
willshak

Bill:

You might want to take a look at our product - - - "Strip-A-Kit".

Here's our website with testimonials and ordering information:

Hope this helps?

~Rick

Reply to
unamodeler

I didn't know they had reformulated, but perhaps you could try one of the generic types. I've also heard of people using Simple Green, but never tried it myself.

Reply to
eyeball

Depends on how the model has been painted.

For quickie jobs where the model has been spray painted (e.g. airbrush) I simply throw the parts in a tank of brake fluid, wait three days and then scrub. Usually goes down to bare plastic.

As for the brush-painted items like the ancient Tamiya T-10 kits I thought about rebuilding Rick's product "Strip-a-Kit" and a ziplock plastic bag are the best way to go. (See the Unamodeler post above.)

Cookie Sewell

Reply to
AMPSOne

superclene works really well.

Reply to
someone

willshak wrote: : : I dug out the Easy Off from under the sink and I notice it is the new : formula. : I removed Tamiya spray primer, Tamiya Silver Leaf and Polly S Soo Line Red from some parts that I botched using the yellow can of "Easy Off".

I sprayed the parts, set the parts in a disposable aluminum baking sheet (aluminum is NOT happy, BTW) and placed the parts outside. 24 hours later, most of the paint was removed. Another treatment as above did not seem to improve things much, so I broke out the ELO. That did the job.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden

Damn, I'm dating myself here, but....Electric Light Orchestra?

Reply to
Shanghai McCoy

LOL Exactly what I thought! I had a mental image of Bruce scrubbing off the paint while dancing to the strains of "Mr Blue Sky"! :-D

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

on 4/24/2008 5:32 PM willshak said the following:

This morning I pulled the parts out of the plastic bag and found that the Easy Off had softened the paint somewhat but it hadn't worked on all parts. I noticed that this new Easy Off does not foam when sprayed, but is more like a soapy spray. I gave it another coat of spray and put them back in the bag. I'll check around the stores today to see if they still make the old stuff. I do have some brake fluid in the garage and may try that if I can't find the old Easy Off.

Reply to
willshak

Here's an article that goes through one person's testing of several strippers and touts Super Clean as the ultimate solution ...

Personally, I've had great success with Super Clean and 91% rubbing alcohol (NOT TOGETHER). But, that was with acrylic and primers. I haven't had to strip enamel yet.

Reply to
John McGrail

Shanghai McCoy wrote: : : Damn, I'm dating myself here, but....Electric Light Orchestra? : I softened up the paint by blasting it with "Horace the Wimp"!

And, as the ad, said, the Kansas & Chicago concert scheduled for Boston has been rescheduled. It will now be the Kansas and Boston concert held in Chicago. Your tickets for the Kansas and Chicago concert originally scheduled for Chicago will be honored at the Kansas and Boston concert in Chicago.

WAR KITTENS?!?!?

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden

Shanghai McCoy wrote: : : Damn, I'm dating myself here, but....Electric Light Orchestra? : Oh, right - anyway, ELO: Easy Lift Off. From Polly S.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden

Watch the Pine Sol. Leaving parts in there for any length of time can make them 'rubbery'. It's a temporary situation which I didn't know about when I threw the first experiment out. :( Brake fluid can be less expensive if you go to the dollar stores and buy the cheapest grade there.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller