1/32 Packard Engines?

Hi there.

I would like to get at least one 1/32 scale Packard engine.

Do any of the *CURRENT IN PRODUCTION* 1/32 aircraft kits come with a Packard engine?

If not, is there a *CURRENT IN PRODUCTION* 1/32 scale model with an engine that is *VERY* similar in appearance.

Please keep any replies you make related to the question.

Thanks very much.

Peter

Reply to
TankBuilder2

When you say "Packard", do you mean a Packard Merlin?

If so, the Trumpeter 1/32 P-51B has a very good model of that engine.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Thanks Enzo.

What I am looking do is a 1/32 Packard engine model I can build and modify to sit beside my 1/32 scale PT boat model.

I don't think the Packard Merlin is it. I think a Packard Merlin is a British Merlin built using US measurements for parts.

To bad there wasn't a 1/32 scale Packard car kit with an engine in it.

Cheers from Peter

Reply to
TankBuilder2

Hi.

Just an addition.

I'm looking on Google to see if there is or was a model Packard image. No luck thus far but I did find out it is not a Merlin derivitive.

"Contrary to popular belief the Packard V12 4M-2500 marine petrol engine did not start it's life as a licence built US made copy of the British Rolls Royce Merlin engine"

Cheers from Peter

Reply to
TankBuilder2

These any help?

?IMSfp=TL0804221514a40592

eyeball

Engines and Things makes a resin Packard built Merlin in 1/32 -

Or you can get a 1/32 Rolls/Merlin -

Rufus

" The Packard 4M 2500 engine powered most, if not all, of the US built PT Boats. The pre and early world war II engines developed some 1200 brake horse power, this had been increased to 1350 BHP and then by the end of the war 1500 BHP, therefore a late war Elco 80' PT had three engines producing a total of 4,500 brake horse power and could guzzle *5000 gallons* of 100 octane aviation fuel in one night of operations. " [gulps]

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Hi.

Those aren't any good because the Packard engine I need was *NOT* a derivitive of the Merlin.

Cheers from Peter

Reply to
TankBuilder2

Hi.

Thanks for the links. The Motorlinks looked promising but it does not seem to have an engine. I checked a Cord model on the same site and it has an engine and the blurb mentions that. The blurb for the Packard does not. I guess thesearch continues.

Thanks from Peter

Reply to
TankBuilder2

You are correct. The PT boat engine, putting aside the myths, was actually designed from the beginning as a boat engine. Packard had long been in marine and aircraft engine business as well as cars and trucks. They dropped out of the aircraft engine business in the early thirties, but entered again of course with the Merlin. However, they had maintained their marine engine business up to and through WW2. They also supported hydroplane and speedboat racing, so were interested in high power-to-weight engines and were in good position for renewal of interest by US in torpedo and fast patrol boats.

However, I know of no kits featuring Packard marine engines, nor any specialty aftermarket ones.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

Thanks Don.

Reply to
TankBuilder2

Hi again.

I knew I was probably going to have to scratch build my Marine Packard engine. I was hoping that the was either a car kit or an aircraft kit available that would have an engine block and cylinders that I coulg use as a base. I am not looking to build an exact replica just some thing that wold look reasonably close to it.

Do you know of any current models that would have something I coulld use as a base>

Thanks from Peter

Reply to
TankBuilder2

Current? Probably not but I'd look into one of the 1/32 Pyro/Like-Like/ Lindberg Packard car kits. Lindberg is re-releasing some of these but I don't think the Packards are among them. These 1/32 car kits were pretty well detailed for their time and scale.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

There is a re-release by Model King of a 'funny car' called Big Al, an old AMT kit. It is 1:24 scale, and includes a REALLY nice Allison V-1710. I am using the engine to build Tempo VI, The unlimited hydroplane in which Guy Lombardo (the band leader) won the Gold Cup in

1946 and 1948. The engine should be a good starting point- it is a V12 like the Packard marine engines. So the block and heads should work- don't know about the 'charger and carb- you may have to scratch these (don't remember that well exactly what that Packard engine looked like).

The engine is chrome plated (actually aluminum). Unlike others, I do not strip the chrome off first- just prime it with a good metal primer and paint over the primer.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota