Enamel over Acrylic

Hi,

This is my first post here, I read the FAQ - especially the part on different types of paint over other types of paint but I couldn't find the exact answer to my predicament.

Basically I think I may have done something bad. I undercoated my model with white spray (not thinking, hold on this is acrylic paint) then airbrushed over it with enamel. I have used acrylics a lot in the past due to the Warhammer hobby but now I have started building real world models I am using thinned enamels.

Is this usually ok? The enamel went on fine and the finish is great - nice flat and even. However I was wondering how long I could expect to wait until the enamel dries. At the moment I can wipe it away with some white spirit on a cotten bud (after 3 hours).

If it helps the paints used are:

Citadel skull white (like I normally used with Warhammer) Xtracolor (Hannants) Gulf Army/Marines sand

I have no idea how long the xtracolor enamels take to dry and cure so anyone with experience please give me an idea. Also Revell, Humbrol enamel dry.cure times would be great.

Yours

Tony

Reply to
Tone

From what I have read, Using Acrylic as a base is a widely accepted method. Due to the acrylics drying very hard and not softening under the thinner in subsequent enamel washes and layering. Not a problem as far as I can see. In fact it is preferred by many.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Brilliant news, thankyou!!

Any ideas on Xtracolor/other enamel dry/cure times ontop of an acrylic base?

Tony

Reply to
Tone

I do what you've done all the time. It has never caused me a problem.

I do a thin coat of clear acrylic over the enamel layer if I plan on adding more color.

It depends on what final texture your looking for.

If you airbrushed the enamels on it should be dry in a couple of minutes as long as you didn't over do it. I would give it an hour, more if you can stand it, drying time, just to make sure that doesn't have any tack left. Longer if your planning on masking it for a later coat of color.

Just my experience, your mileage may vary.

Good day, Francis Marion

Reply to
Francis Marion

It could dry for 10 years and if you wipe it with "white spirit", which I am guessing is an enamel solvent, it will always come off.

If you want to protect the enamel, you need to give it a coat of clear Acrylic, similar to the acrylic you've already used. that way any "oil based solvent" will not affect it.

F Marion

Reply to
Francis Marion

Right cheers, I didn't realise enamel was so easy to get rid of once it was dry. :)

So I need to get some sort of sealant such as clear acrylic or varnish, etc... Thankyou for the advice. Shame the shop isn't open on Sundays. Hmmm Halfords may do a satin clear spray though will go have a look.

Tony

Reply to
Tone

Tone,

Halfords do a GLOSS acrylic spray - called 'Clear Lacquer'.

For satin, check out Games Workshop - they do a MATT acrylic spray - which produces a nice satin finish.

It is called 'Purity Seal (Matt Varnish)'.

Ken

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Ken Duffey - Flanker Freak & Russian Aviation Enthusiast Flankers Website -
Ken Duffey

Hi Tony,

In my experience Xtracolour can sometimes take a painfully long time to dry, make sure it is thoroughly stirred before using. It's one of the strange Laws of Modelling when you want it to dry it just won't.

The worst case I had was a tin of RAF blue/grey on a Sea King, it took 3 to

4 days before I could handle it without marking the paint, yet other times it can dry in an hour or so.

To answer your other question yes enamels over acrylic is the way to go.

Happy modelling Ant Phillips 'Standing on the shoulders of giants'

Reply to
Ant Phillips

A simple rule : if it smells , it´s not dry. But "dry" depends on the next step you´re gonna take on the surface : washes, masking, varnish,...

JR

"Tone" escribió en el mensaje news:BcoHb.37140$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfep2-win.server.ntli.net...

Reply to
jr

Thanks, I went to Halfords and found the gloss. I didn't realise the clear laquer they do was acrylic, thanks for the tip - may come in useful if I ever buy some rally car kits (something I want to build in the future). For my M2A2 I'd prefer a satin finish so I will try to visit GW next week, I've used theirs in the past and it looked real nice.

I've also seen modellers in the stages of painting and they are quite glossy, then have decals on, then are dulled down to near matt finish. Is this just added weathering effects or is there a product that people use to dull down gloss coats?

Just finishing priming two planes that I have on the desk in bits :) using Halfords grey primer - stinks to high heaven!! Got a 1/72nd F-15 SE and a

1/48th F-4 Phantom II.

PS: I saw a review >

Reply to
Tone