Paint Removal Advice

I need to remove paint from a model I have been working on. I thought I remembered reading somewhere that using Easy-Off oven cleaner would do the trick.

My problem is I have used two different kinds of paint; Polly Scale acrylic and enamal spray paint. Ideally, I would just like to remove the acrylic paint...

Oh, and to make matters worse, the acrylic paint I would like to remove is painted onto bare metal foil.

Any suggestions? The model in question is the Polar Lights Enterprise re-fit.

Thank you.

Bill B

Reply to
william BOSSERT

Alcohol, glass cleaner, and household ammonia should soften or dissolve acrylic paint without affecting the enamels. I haven't tried them on BMF, but I expect they *probably* won't affect the foil; you may want to test it on something else first just to be safe.

I normally use an old toothbrush to scrub off the softened paint, but that would probably scratch the foil, so I'd suggest letting the parts soak for a few hours and then gently rubbing the paint off with your fingers while rinsing with water. You may have to repeat it a few times to remove all the acrylic.

If the acrylic is *only* on the foil, and not too close to the edges nor the enamel, you can probably remove it with a Q-tip dipped in lacquer thinner. Rub gently so you don't scratch the foil, let the thinner do all the work, and blot with a tissue to control drips.

Reply to
Wayne C. Morris

I just recently stripped the paint off of a Tamiya Panther G that I had started several years ago, and painted with Tamiya paints.

Reply to
Jim

Wayne,

I took your advice and used Windex and Q-tips to remove the acrylic paint from the bare metal foil. Worked like a charm...Thanks!

Bill B

Reply to
william BOSSERT

Another good one is Castrol Super Degreaser... the purple bath. It will take off anything but baked on enamel. You soak the kit or part overnight, depending on how old the paint is. A few swipes with an old toothbrush will take out anything in the nooks and crannies.

Just wear rubber gloves and protect your eyes!

---Stephen Tontoni (yeah, back... lol)

Reply to
Stephen Tontoni

It's definitely good stuff but won't touch either Tamiya or Testors lacquers, or most pre-painted plastic kits. All those call for a bath in 91% or stronger isopropyl alcohol.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Really! I would have to try that out and see, Al, but I don't have anything painted with either Testor's or Tamiya lacquers. Are you sure you aren't referring to enamels? I wasn't even aware that Testor's or Tamiya even made a lacquer.

Reply to
Stephen Tontoni

I know Testor's makes lacquers as I have some in my paint case but I'm unsure of Tamiya.

Reply to
Shawn

I believe some of Tamiya's spray paints are lacquers. Gunze also makes some lacquers (their metal series) which are notoriously difficult to remove.

Reply to
Dan

if the kit hasn't been assembled then easy off oven spray will do the trick. also it kicks butt for removing crome from parts you dont want cromed so be careful around crome. also soaking the parts in brake fluid a day or so will do the trick

Reply to
Shawn

i say unnassembled due to it being a bear to clean the parts if assembled ;)

Reply to
Shawn