Painting brass engine

Just bought a nice brass engine. The gold colour doesn't suite to me and would like to paint her with Polly Scale Steam Power Black. Can I just spray over the gold or do I have to remove the original colour first? Which paint remover to use? Do I need a primer on brass when spraying with Polly Scale?

Any advice would be appreciated. jacques

Reply to
Ciana

You can paint over the gold paint if you desire but I remove it before painting the loco as the paint is generally applied quite thick and this hides details on the loco. I have been using Floquil solvent paints and have not had any problems with just painting the loco with the color and no primer. Others prefer to apply the primer before the color coating the brass. One thing to remember is to fully clean the surfaces and don't touch them after they have been cleaned.

Bob May

Reply to
joe murphy

Remember to remove all electrical and plastic parts before stripping. Brass locomotives aren't much fun if you melt the plastic parts.

Eric

Reply to
newyorkcentralfan

Jacques, The only real use for a primer coat would be to better see if there are spots that you may want to clean up. A very thin light gray primer coat will help show any minor defects. With most models there is no need from a primer. It is most likely best to remove the gold paint. I ran into several brass models that had a very thin clear plastic like coating over a gold paint. Some detail would definitely not have been as sharp had this not been removed. I've used brake fluid to remove paint from brass with good results. Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Favinger

Hi Ciana:

Castrol Super Clean (in the purple bottle) works well for removing paint, and does not harm plastics. I use it all the time to strip plastic models of paint.

Regards, John.

Reply to
the_tool_man