Running with a dry smoke unit

Is it damaging to an old Lionel steamer to run the smoke unit dry (liquid or pellets)?

Some of my newer engines have switches to turn the smoke unit off and instructions not to run it dry. The old Lionel engines have no switches and no instructions against running them dry, but some of them smoke so much that I cannot run them for more than a few minutes without opening doors and windows.

Thanks for any advice.

James L. Freeman

810 Holly Knoll Drive Anderson, SC 29626-6909 (864) 261-3724 snipped-for-privacy@msn.com
Reply to
jameslfreeman

And they all look pretty lame; wispy white fumes (vaporized oil). If you like being stuck behind a diesel truck going through the Gotthard tunnel (about ten miles long), you'll love smoke units. WTF, at least the diesel trucks put out black smoke.

Paaaahhhhhhh!!

Reply to
Steve Caple

in article cpcx92ns19kn$.1ksfckwp5w5t2$. snipped-for-privacy@40tude.net, Steve Caple at snipped-for-privacy@commoncast.net wrote on 3/17/06 1:46 PM:

Not only that, but that oily smoke gets on everything and attracts dust. I suggest you disconnect your smoke unit. I don't think running them dry causes any harm other than using more current for the heating element.

Reply to
Edward A. Oates

James:

You might not want to be posting your address and phone number on an internet group.

Reply to
newyorkcentralfan

and ignore any letters or calls from Nigeria, foreign lotteries, friends of Bill Gates, along with letters asking for $5 or $6 "investments", calls for aid, etc.

Reply to
3D