smoke oil

Does anyone know what the oil distillate is, as used in a smoke generator
for models? (The smoke is generated by a small heater that vaporises the
oil). It is a very thin oil .... and rather expensive buying it via the
hobby retail outlets as it is imported from Germany.
Alan
Reply to
Alan Marshall
Don't know if this will help but have you ever been to a disco and seen / smelled / chocked on the smoke machine 'smoke'. If they use the same oil it is around 3 quid a litre. See
Gooigling will find other suppliers.
-- =20 cerebus
Reply to
cerberus
baby oil is the best i have seen this used on numerous planes and i
smells go to
-- bluescoobydo ----------------------------------------------------------------------- bluescoobydoo's Profile:
this thread:
bluescoobydoo
And smoke liquid for disco use usually comes in a choice of flavours, though I've yet to see it in "welsh steam coal"
Regards
Kevin
Reply to
Kevin Steele
Try
and search for "smoke fluid", that should give you a choice:-). A friend of mine uses it in model trains and it appears to produce visually the same effect as the stuff sold in tiny containers.
Reply to
Peter Parry
When we generated smoke for wind tunnel work we used Shell Ondina. If I remember it is a non toxic oil used for lubricating food machinery. Reasonable smell. Hope that helps a bit.
Henry
Reply to
Dragon

Site Timeline