Re: Gunze Sangyo Paint question

Gunze Sangyo Panzer Colors as a gift. What

>do I use to thin this with? Is it acrylic or enamel?

If it says Hobby Color or aqueous it's the acrylic. I use methanol; also reccommended are windshield washer fluid and their proprietary thinner. Water isn't used for thinning, just clean up. hth

The Keeper (of too much crap)

Reply to
Keeper

If it is the aqueous stuff, watch out!

Even when well cured the Testors Glosscoat in the spray can will dissolve/soften/ruin it.

I can't tell you how many times I have done this, forgotten which a/c or armor I have painted with gunze, gone to gloss coat for decalling and ruined a paintjob.. Too many times...

For airbrushing it, I've never had a problem thinning it with rubbing alcohol and cleanup is a breeze. I have not had much luck brushpainting with it, it's a little thick and takes FOREVER to dry.

Mike please remove "diespam" to reply

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, perhaps you've misunderstood the situation.

Reply to
MLDHOC

It seems like a few years ago, 1999 to 2002, I could airbrush it with very little isopropyl alcohol. I think I was doing it at 25% alcohol. I remember there was a time when I shot it through an airbrush with no thinner at all. It was real splattery, but it came through. My nephew and I airbrushed two different colors from brand new bottles a couple of weeks ago, and I mixed it at half alcohol and half Gunze. It was little to thick this time. So, I don't know if they've fattened it up some in the past couple of years, so you've just gotta keep adding another measured part of alcohol & stir or rattle the mix bottle until it is fluid enough for the airbrush.

I really like that stuff. That's my favorite paint for models that don't have any moving parts.

David Kennesaw, GA

Reply to
jdb

Well, if you can't read it, open a bottle, dip a brush or something in it & hold it under water. If it won't wash off, do the same with paint thinner. If it washes off in water, it's acrylic, if thinner, it's enamel.

Reply to
famvburg

Gunze makes two kinds of paint: Mr Color (enamel) and Gunze aqueous hobby color (acrylic).

I usually thin the acryl more or less 50/50 with either water or alcohol.

The flat colors are great, but take some care with gloss ones... they are a bit "soft" so even after some days you can leave fingerprints or "wear" the paintjob it you handle the model too much.

Also test for clearcoat/other paints compatibility: some of them (such as future of Polly Scale clear flat) can crack underlying gunze paint. I like Polly Scale flat coat so I usually spray a light coat of microscale gloss to "seal" the colors (mainly the gloss ones, so I can safely handle the model) and as a barrier before decals/weathering.

Reply to
Yuri

snip

I've been wanting to get some of their more obscure Japanese colors. Do you get it from Rainbow or someone else and have you ever had a customs problem? tia

The Keeper (of too much crap)

Reply to
Keeper

Oops, you're right!