Thinning Gunze Paints

Hi folks,

I have the Gunze Panzer colors, 1 400ml bottle of Mr Color Thinner, and Mr Surfacer 1200. Is there something else that I can use for cleaning my airbrush besides the Gunze Thinner?

This is my first time using Gunze Paints and Mr. Surfacer. As such I'm testing the paint out on an old DML JSU-152 that I've had around for at least 10 years. One of those kits that was started but never finished, until last summer.

TIA,

Jim

Reply to
Jim

I always use lacquer thinner for cleaning my airbrushes, after using enamel and lacquer paints. When I use acrylics I use soapy water followed again by lacquer thinner.

J. Bright

Reply to
jhbright

Sure, lacquer thinner. If the Gunze Panzer colors you have are the acrylics, not Mr. Color, you can thin them for spraying with windshield washer fluid instead of the relatively expensive Mr. Color thinner.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Thanks J. and Al.

I must say I do like Mr Surfacer. That stuff was very k>

Reply to
Jim

Then *don't* try using windshield washer fluid to thin them! ;-p

Reply to
Al Superczynski

I don't have any Panzer Colors in my Gunze collection, but one very easy way to tell the Mr. Color Lacquers from the water based stuff is that all the Mr. Color Lacquers except the "Super Metallic" have a tabbed lid. The water based stuff has a conventional flat topped lid.

According to the Gunze listing at R10, there are two German tank sets HS101 and HS102 and they are indeed Lacquer based. Cheap lacquer thinner from the paint or hardware store will work just fine for cleaning the airbrush, and decently for thinning the paint for spraying, but to really make the stuff spray better than anything you have ever used before, you should use the Gunze Self Leveling thinner. It has retarder in it to make the paint lay near perfectly.

Norm

Reply to
Norm Filer