Masking metalizer

Hi again folks. I have read that you can't mask metalizers. Are there any ways that you can? On my Ridge Runner P-51, I have to do the anti-glare portion and the red around the front. Getting that curve just right scares me. I'm just trying to think ahead as I'm still working the seems where the wings attach the fuselage.

Reply to
DaveJr

You'll have to seal the metalizer with the Testors brand metalizer sealer, or use future. I have never had any trouble using the metalizer sealer.

Curtis

Reply to
CB

Damp newspaper or liquid mask but it's safer to paint any trim first, mask it, and then spray metalizer.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Like Al said, paint non NMF colors first, mask then apply metals.

*If* you are going to be applying multiple metals shades, the following has worked very well for me:
  1. Apply buffing Aluminum first buff it out completely
  2. 'Dust' on another coat of buffing Aluminum, DO NOT buff out
  3. Using drafting tape, burnished very lightly only to the edges, cover what you want to stay Aluminum (Don't forget; before applying the tape, trim the tape edge to keep a sharp edge)
  4. Apply next buffing shade. buff it out completely
  5. follow steps 2-4 for each addittional 'buffing' shade.
  6. Apply non buffing shades, using drafting tape as masking medium per step
  7. I lightly buff these (even if you can't see a difference, it knocks off the loose particles) then dust another coat and it comes out fine in the end After all NMFs have been applied, remove the layers of tape, last to first. You might see a bit of the metals come off with the drafting tape, more on the buffed shades than the non. don't worry, that is just from the 'dust coat'. Lightly rebuff the buffing shades as you go

-- Chuck Ryan Springfield OH

Reply to
Chuck Ryan

Parafilm-M works nicely for me.