Hasegawa 1/32 Bf 109K-4 - Got Mine!

Another gem from the folks at Hasegawa, but not entirely what I was expecting...
I guess what I was expecting was the G-14 kit with a few new bumps and a
new upper cowling...from what I can tell, this is also a completely new tooling of the fuselage parts. For one, the empanage split is just aft of the cockpit - not at the tailplane like the previous 109 kits. As for the forward fuselage, aside from the obvious cowling changes, the small scoops on the sides of the forward cowling seem to be more in line, but not quite level with each other.
I was also hoping for a kit with the smooth, wooden rudder (when I was thinking it would be tooled on the G-14 mold), but the same metal rudder is there. The trim tabs look right, but I'm not certain that the metal rudder is appropriate for a K - it can be easily "corrected" with some sandpaper, though. And the tailwheel doors are molded into the fuselage halves (save me, Eduard...).
The same sprues of cockpit and external stores parts from the G-14 kit are there, with the G-14 fuselage parts simply missing - come on, Eduard!.. The wing parts are unchanged too - you'll still need to "square out" the wheel well openings to bring them to proper shape and attach the outer gear doors.
Be careful, as there are a number of greyed out areas os "parts not for use" in the sprue diagrams on the instruction sheet - for example; there are two sets of prop blades...don't grab the wrong ones!
Kit decals are for two schemes from JG 52, with a red "tulip" on the nose. The most substantial difference being that one bears a Werknummer and a blue "4" fighter number, and the other does not. Makes me wonder...I'd recommend some research and consulting the aftermarket for decals.
I just "happen" to have an "extra" set of Moskit 1/32 109 exhausts. I was hoping to capture a 1/32 K someday and build it as a G-14AS...but I hear there's yet another 1/32 109 kit on the way from Hasegawa...so I think I'll build my K, and order another set of exhausts...
--
- Rufus

I got mine too, and noticed that the cockpit is basically the same as the G-series, which is not correct for the K. It'll take some work, or an aftermarket replacing just about everything to do it right.
steve gallacci wrote:

One other thing I noticed was that the battery box behind the pilot's head is depicted at one point in the instructions, but a part is not there for it. And then in the next step the depiction is gone.
Oh well...Eagle Parts...
--
- Rufus

Rufus wrote:

Note, however, that the battery box cover was not universally fitted in Ks.
steve gallacci wrote:

Yes - found that out on further research. Just a curiosity as to the instruction sheet showing it and then deleting it, and no part included for the option.
--
- Rufus

If you really want the battery box, Meteor Productions did a really neat accessoryset for the G-6 in 1/32 scale. It's got a lot of parts that could be used on a G-10 or K-4 as well, including a super nice pair of 13mm and underwing 20mm bbls and the protruding battery box cover.
"The world would be a much simpler place if every one could pick and choose their obligations, but we can't and we shouldn't." Major Charles W. Whittlesey
Bill Woodier wrote:

I'll have to look...was only aware of the one from Eagle Editions/Parts.
--
- Rufus

Bill Woodier wrote:

Bill:
    Real question is, when will they give us the needed K cockpit, the K instrument panel was different from the G series.
                                Bill Shuey

That is a good question. I just talked with Dave on another project yesterday and he didn't mention it.
"The world would be a much simpler place if every one could pick and choose their obligations, but we can't and we shouldn't." Major Charles W. Whittlesey
Well Hasegawa also got the instructions mixed up on the G-14, especially on the decals side, they are a copy of the G-6 placement chart, but numbers are wrong.
--

Claus Gustafsen
Strandby Denmark
Claus Gustafsen wrote:

Guess we're ALWAYS going to have to do our own research...but I guess that's part of the fun. Maybe I should just try to build that G14AS from the K kit...
I forget what the next kit in the series is supposed to be - a G10, I think...is that right?
--
- Rufus