Opinions: 1/32 P-51D kits

Hi. I'm working on an adversary theme of sorts; currently building
Hasegawa's 1/32 Bf109G-6, with their 1/32 Dora next up. I'm looking for a
nice 1/32 P-51D kit, and am wondering about Hasegawa's offering. Or, perhaps
Trumpeter has near-term plans to release one? Thanks much...
Cheers,
Reply to
David E. Young
David,
I don't know whether Trumpeter is planning to release a new 1/32-scale P-51D, but the Hasegawa kit is unquestionably the most accurate of those currently available. The only substantial weakness of Hasegawa's offering is its largely fictitious cockpit. However, this can be replaced by resin aftermarket sets from Verlinden Productions (still available) or from Paragon Designs (out of production but fairly easy to find in vendor rooms at conventions, on eBay, etc.).
Charles Metz
Reply to
Charles Metz
The Hasegawa one is the best one out in 1/32 right now, IMO...with the exception of the engine. If you want to build it with the cowl open by an aftermarket detailing kit.
Other than that, it's pretty nice and there are a ton of aftermarket goodies for it if you're so inclined. I'm set up to do one with Eduard etch and Moskit exhausts...I'll leave my cowl closed.
Reply to
Rufus
The Hasegawa kit is resonable, but quite a few years old, so if trumpeter comes out with a version in 1:32 it meight easily be better, but it will certainly be more expensive. The depending on how critical one are, the hasegawa kit with "Add Ons" can also easily run into quite a few $. Verlinden, Eduard etc. makes extrax for this bird. I've buold two, and are resonably satisfied, byt hasegawa has learned a lot since this 1971(?) kit.
Reply to
Claus Gustafsen
It's fine EXCEPT for the same flaw that is in alot of P-51D kits in other scales as well: the canopy glass is seperate from the canopy frame, leaving a difficult joint to make look good. It can be replaced with an aftermarket item though, I think. (Squadron?)
-John
Reply to
Pacific95
...watch crystal cement...
Reply to
Rufus
Thanks to all who replied. Sounds like the Hasegawa kit is it. I'll buy a Verlinden set for the cockpit...
Much obliged again.
Cheers, David.
Reply to
David E. Young