Trumpeter just ain't Tamiya

Been working on the 1/32 F4-F by Trumpeter. Sure, it's the only kit in this scale worth talking about, but the fit and detail just don't match up to Tamiya, nor does the engineering. Those "working" wings are a joke. I decided to model them extended, and the fit of the joints is ridiculous. It took a lot of filler followed by re-doing all the rivets in the area.

Yes, they do some great subjects, but especially considering the cost of their kits, how about a little better engineering and detail?

Reply to
Viperdoc

What's really needed are metal parts for the wingfolds if they are going to make them operate, IMO. They could lighten up on the panel lines/rivets too...they're a tad over-done, but not enough to stop me from buying the kits.

Reply to
Rufus

It's interesting you say that. I actually had more fun building my Airfix 1/24 P-51D (including scratch-building the wheel wells and main gear), than any Trumpeter kit I've built (except perhaps their Spitfire).

I've decided that Trumpeter kits are just too expensive, overall, at least for me. I built the Hasegawa 1/32 P-47 and loved it; I'd not even consider the Trumpeter version.

I think Trumpeter just needs to tone down the "working features", simplify their kits just a tad, and bring their prices down a bit. Of course, lots of folks don't feel that way...

-- david

Reply to
David Young

trumpeter armor is fun and fairly accurate but their ac are too much like a pain in the ass with no fun. and if you're modelling budget is small, you're almost afraid to make mistakes. they are too much like work and not enough like fun.

Reply to
someone

I agree. Their aircraft are generally no fun. I have Trumpeter's F9F and it's been a pretty easy build, but that seems the exception.

-- david

Reply to
David Young