Aren't kits so much better today

In my youth I grew up with Airfix, Frog, the odd Revell and put up with the fit, the quality and the detail because I knew no better - the only shining light was Matchbox but even in my childhood days I thought the level of detail and the 3-colour plastic moulds was rather cartoonish.

Once in a while I'd get a Heller, a Hasegawa or a Tamiya and the difference was light and day. By comparison the fit, cleaness, detail was hugely better - but the price was hugely more expensive.

Today I don't see such a huge improvment and the playing field is much more level - I'm not an accuracy geek (and not overly bothered as long as it looks about right) so to me the latest airfix, revell, even italeri are not so far behind the leaders.

As a case in point, the other day I remembered I had an unstarted (mostly) Airfix 1/24 GR3\AV8 in my attic and thought it would be a nice project. I got it down and my what a terrible prospect. I offered the fusealage sides together and needed several hands to get them to line up - even then I realised that it would take an awful lot of filler to get decent. And that's without trying to hold the cockpit, engines, all those horrible moving flaps and gear doors in place at the same time - it looks like a nightmare.

I decided I'm not going to bother, life is too short, so it's going to the next car boot \ yard sale.

Cheers,

Nigel

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4078 (20090515) __________

Nigel Heather the-heathers.co.uk>