semi OT: Aviation art - see image

finally some prints in a large size and an "affordable" price, but something about this print puts me off. Great scene, but the torpedo plane just looks too bright. Were the navy planes in 1942 that clean looking? They had not been to sea that long, so maybe its ok.. Tempted to ask Santa for this.

Craig

Musicman59

That looks computer generated to me...as one whom dabbles a bit...

Reply to
Rufus

yeah, just does not look right compared to the other art I've seen....wish this stuff did not cost so much and is there a rule for aviation artists to paint only in sizes of odd frames so you can't buy a frame off the shelf, adding $$$$$$ to your purchase.

Craig

Reply to
Musicman59

color seems much too deep a blue - should be flat medium blue - kinds also looks very crowded and artificial - the plane in the back looks like it took a hit and just fell. My take is wrong colors and bad unrealistic composition. Remember these aircraft were close to the end of their service life - not new from the factory. I would pass on this one. Look into some of the completed kit photos on the net.

Val Kraut

Reply to
Val Kraut

It's not so much the colors ... what puts me off about these computer generated ' prints ' is the ' cartoonish ' way they look.

A Keith Ferris painting might look a little like this ... but far more realistic looking.

A print like this might look great for the box art on a video game ... but not for something you would hang on a wall.

Just my opinion ...

Chris

Reply to
CCBlack

...more like ok for a video game...in fact, it could be a shot from from a flight sim. Looks like one, now that ya mention it.

Reply to
Rufus

If they flew off of carriers they did tend to be cleaner than those flown from airfields. Less UV damage, less dusty environment (the ones flown from coral islands really got messed up- that dust sandblasted paint off).

Reply to
Don Stauffer

As other have said - looks like a screenshot from a computer game to me - well maybe not that bad, but certainly computer generated.

Just looks all wrong to me.

Art is in the eye of the beholder and if it's your thing then go ahead but it's not for me.

Cheers,

Nigel

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4604 (20091113) __________

Nigel Heather the-heathers.co.uk>

That particular print screams Auto-CAD to me rather than a dedicated art creation tool like TrueScape or some such. A lot of the other works on the site look a -lot- better than that one. The artist's big interest is WWI and those prints look much nicer. Still computer graphics but a much smoother and polished rendition. Reminds me of fantasy artwork, especially the lighting....

Reply to
R. Franklin

Musicman59 said the following on 13/11/2009 02:35:

This is screaming out for another quick advert for "Suppon" Tochy! You can find his stuff pasted over Youtube but let's go to where it all started. Scroll down to 'Merlins' for starters, ignoring the non-Merlin sound.

Richard Brooks