Welding aircraft exhaust

Hi all, I have a need to re-attach a support tab to one of the exhaust tubes on my airplane. Yep my airplane is broke. It looked like steel but it turns out to be discolored. Part of the tab is not dis-colored, It looks like Stainless. Monel is a possibility. If it is Stainless I can weld it. If it is Something else I do not have the filler for it. Can you autogeneous weld Monel? Thanks, Michelle

Reply to
Michelle P

Michelle P

I know essentially nothing about welding inconel - but these guys do - check out this article:

You should be able to weld it if you have access to the right rods.

Brian

Reply to
Brian

If you need a little inconel I can send you some. I have 8 inconel alloys, 4 hastelloys, some Haynes alloys, and Waspaloy.

Inconel 625, or 718 would be a good guess. I can send you a little Hastelloy W, it is a universal filler rod for most aerospace alloys.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Reply to
Michelle P

Reply to
Michelle P

Reply to
Michelle P

You can mail order some of them from

Ernie Leimkuhler

This may be a stupid question but I was curious- Don't you need an A/P cert from the FAA to work on aircraft? I see some postings about aircraft stuff but I thought I'd ask because a friend asked me to build a rest for his handheld GPS palm pilot thingamabob for his Cessna Citation but I declined figuring it was a needed cert and I'm not into working on eight million dollar jets. I'm a better passenger.

Thanks,

Rob

Fraser Competition Engines Chicago, IL. Long Beach, CA.

Reply to
RDF

I am sure someone that knows will pipe up and correct me if I am wrong. But I would think the cert would only be necessary for work on structure and propulsion. The line must be somewhere between welding the frame and uphostering the seats.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Reply to
Michelle P

Michelle, the work he wanted done was to attach a frame to the console between the throttle levers and flap controls. (Plus run a 12VDC line to it from the breaker panel accy junction. Granted, I have the Teflon wire and all but since the final work would be attached structurally and electrically to the cockpit I opted out. I used to work for GTE Airphone at MDW but on the bench at our depot. The only crew we had that got into the avionics bay were A/P only. (Now this was commercial aircraft) during my high-school "work release" internship (ha ha ) I know I could do it, would I be better off just making what he wants (I assume you know the GPS thing I mentioned, it's too big to really fit on the knee-board and he is bugging me about this. It's a pretty simple arm really to make but would you agree, I could make it then turn it over to the staff at Signature Flight svcs. to install? The guy scored me an engine for my new project that is in crates ( A R.R. Viper turbine engine and full APU for a jet dragster) I owe him big but he's German and quite set in his ways (and one of my best clients and friends) I figured he would have known this as he is a commercial pilot (Heavy) and an instructor as well but once the preflight is done, his technical skills switch off. He also wanted another board for his new Mooney (The new one with the LCD panel- Scares the crap out of me if it loses power- VFR to the nearest safe spot. Call me nostalgic but I sort of feel safer with a bunch of analog instruments in front of me rather than a single point of failure) I don't want to brush him off, I have no qualm making the stuff but installation really freaks me out.

Thanks for the info!

Rob

Fraser Competition Engines Chicago, IL. Long Beach, CA.

"Michelle P" wrote in message news:5iDQe.3752$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...

Reply to
RDF

RDF, In my opinion you made the right decision. Sounds like it would be a permanent installation. The FAA draws a line at permanent installations all sorts of approvals need to be made. Since you would be installing a permanent part it would need to have some sort of approval. Type certificate, supplemental type certificate or a Form 337. If this aircraft is used for hire any respectable show will be seriously hesitant to approve its installation. The area he wants the mount installed is sensitive one from a pilots and the FAA view.

He can buy a suction cup or yoke mount for almost anything.

is one that I have used.

Michelle

RDF wrote:

Reply to
Michelle P

Thanks for the solid answer. I can finally show him this and maybe he can find a suitable mount from the link you provided. (There are several very close to what he has drawn out on paper for me). I really felt uncomfortable with all this. I just feel compelled to due dilligance. After all, I'm pretty sure you can guess the value of the Viper engine and the huffer he scored for me.

Thanks a million!