powcon 300st or a maxstar 150 st

Hi am looking for advice. I am torn between buying a used powcon 300st stick tig machine or a new maxstar 150 st. I mostly stick weld with 6011 and stainless rod on a hobby level. but i do alot of it. I eventually want to learn tig someday but for not for a long time. I do mostly 16 guage to 1/4 inch . Used powcons seem to be arund 400-450, the maxstar 15o around $800 less the tig outfit. Am i foolish to buy a powcon knowing that it will cost a fortune to fix?. probably have to send it out for repairs too? Its half the cost but alot more machine for the intial investment thats why I am interested in the machine. Or is going with a maxstar with warrantly a better route. I will never need the 300 amps that powcon puts out at 440 volt 3 phase input. Just looking for opinions, thanks Bob.

Reply to
bob

Powcons are great Stick welders. There is a reason they were so popular with construction weldors.

It is unfortuinate that the parts are so pricey. We sent our Powcon 300ST in from school for repair. They want $300 for the Breaker switch and $400 for the cooling fan. Yikes.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Uh, I think that answered my question. Thanks.

Reply to
bob