powcon 300st or a maxstar 150 st

Hi am looking for advice. I am torn between buying a used powcon 300st
stick tig machine or a new maxstar 150 st.
I mostly stick weld with 6011 and stainless rod on a hobby level. but
i do alot of it. I eventually want to learn tig someday but for not for
a long time. I do mostly 16 guage to 1/4 inch .
Used powcons seem to be arund 400-450, the maxstar 15o around $800
less the tig outfit. Am i foolish to buy a powcon knowing that it will
cost a fortune to fix?. probably have to send it out for repairs too?
Its half the cost but alot more machine for the intial investment thats
why I am interested in the machine.
Or is going with a maxstar with warrantly a better route.
I will never need the 300 amps that powcon puts out at 440 volt 3 phase
input. Just looking for opinions, thanks Bob.
Reply to
bob
Powcons are great Stick welders. There is a reason they were so popular with construction weldors.
It is unfortuinate that the parts are so pricey. We sent our Powcon 300ST in from school for repair. They want $300 for the Breaker switch and $400 for the cooling fan. Yikes.
Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler
Uh, I think that answered my question. Thanks.
Reply to
bob