Maxstar 150 STH available?

I looked at the Maxstar 140 posted here recently (Ernie's old machine) but decided to pass because that model does not have a way to control the amperage on the fly.

I was poking around the Miller site and saw that in addition to the Maxstar 150 S (stick only) & 150 STL (stick/TIG lift-arc), they mention a 150 STH. The STH has high-frequency start and a built-in pulser and can be used with a remote amp control.

However, I can't seem to find this model available for sale anywhere.

Has any one seen one or heard when they might be available?

Jeff Dantzler Seattle, WA

Reply to
Jeff Dantzler

I think it is too new. Probably hasn't shipped yet. Miller routinely accidentally releases specs for machines they don't have to sell yet.

Ask the guys at Central welding if they have gotten sales packets for them. The literature usually arrives a few weeks before the machines.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Last time I conversed with the TIG department at Miller,the Maxstar

150 STH was going to be available around the first of Febuary. So sometime in Febuary is probably a safe assumption
Reply to
Dan

Indeed. I called B&R and it shows up in their inventory.

Looks to be a sweet, little machine for any one that doesn't need to do a lot of aluminum. It has a pulser and can be used with a torch-mounted remote or a foot pedal.

For the flexibility of small size, 120V or 240V, and included pulser, it just bumped the 180SD for my first choice of TIG welder. Now if only I had $1400 or so lying around...

I imagine the 150 STH will show up locally (Seattle) pretty soon.

Jeff Dantzler

Reply to
Jeff Dantzler

Jeff,

I just recently talked with my local Praxair salesman in Salem, Oregon. He told me they would probably have the Maxstar 150 sth in stock around the first of Febuary. He gave me a price quote of $960 for the stick package version and $1280 for the TIG/stick package version. I have several regulators, three TIG torches, and I really don t like a torch mounted current control. So, I will probably purchase the stick package version and then add the foot pedal and international connector.

Reply to
Dan

I've never used torch-mounted amptrols, but a foot control seems more natural. I couldn't imagine trying to twiddle the flame on my gas torch without stopping welding momentarily. I'm sure it's easier with the torch amptrol, but as I am a TIG newbie, I'd rather master a pedal first. Wild guess that a sequencer will always be preferable to the amptrol anyway--but out of my budget and skill level right now.

What is this international connector you speak of ?

I have a really nice Ar flowmeter already. When I get around to getting the inverter I'll probably need some advice on torch setups. I really liked the torches we used at school. Pretty sure they were CK 2-series water-cooled w/ gas lense on the syncro 250. I'd like something similarly small, but I probably am not going to need a water-cooled torch. Could one even be used with the Maxstar ?

I will be welding mostly mild and stainless < 0.125" and will be experimenting with various homebrew back-purge methods, too. It will be fun to learn stick as the other maxstars are pretty sweet stick power sources from what I hear.

Cheers--Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Dantzler

Jeff CK makes a complete torch setup that will just plug into a MAxstar. The biggest torch that would be practical would be a CK 150 (150 amp) air cooled torch. That is a #3 series torch. I have 2 torches for my Maxstar 200DX. A CK210 Trimline (200 amp, air cooled, #3 series) and a CK100 (120 amp, air cooled, #2 series)

I started with the CK210, but got tired of wrestling with it on thin stainless in tight spaces. The CK100 is much smaller and lighter.

I mainly use the CK100 now, but I keep the CK210 for heavy stuff if it comes up.

Get a CK150 and a set of #4 series gas lenses and collets. Get the superflex cable if possible. It makes a huge difference.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler