Aircraft Exhaust

Fellow Modelers,

How can I get a nice finish on my aircraft's jet exhaust, ala Alclad II, without using an airbrush. Are there any other manufacturers who make such realistic finishes? FWIW, the exhaust will be for a Tornado.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Dingo

i use a brush with master modeler's metalizers. some of them you can even polisg after dry with a soft cloth. they look really good. the non buff bun metal is great for a lot of things like guns and landing gear parts. that might be model master. oops/

Reply to
someone

I sometimes drybrush metallic finishes. I use Krylon grey primer on the part, then drybrush a translucent coating of Testors Steel or some other metallic color. Makes a burnt metal appearance.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

I believe from the pictures I seen of the Tornado that their exhaust tend to be dark and sooty. A base of black then apply some Steel SnJ Polishing Powder would make them pop and look realistic. Apply the powder lightly with a foam makeup applicator or a stiff bristled paint brush.

Reply to
bluumule

Washes work will to bring out the detail of the nozzle petals also.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

Here's some great color close-ups of the exhaust nozzles of a Tornado:

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

The orifice is dark and sooty, but the thrust reverse buckets are a dark steel kind of colour. Quite matt but with a sheen to them. Satin, almost.

It's these that cause the dirty fin that's characteristic of a Tonka.

EB

Pat Flannery wrote:

Reply to
Eddie Bermuda

on 8/9/2007 11:07 AM Eddie Bermuda said the following:

I have a bottle of Testors Model Master Acryl called Jet Exhaust #4676. I haven't used it yet, but it looks like a metallic faded khaki.

Reply to
willshak

To me, the rings at the base of the nozzle with the bumps around their periphery look almost like they are made of cast metal. The exposed gears between the tailpipes are interesting. Here's a shot straight up the tailpipe:

the photos are here:
Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

That's sounds pretty close to the color of most jet nozzles I've seen close up, it might be what stainless steel or titanium looks like after it's been discolored by heat. Occasionally you can get bright metallic blues and violets also.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

Here's a picture of the tailpipe of an F-18. It has white fuel spray bars.

bluumule