Holy Cow! That's an expensive rocket!

All I can say is WOW! I've been watching this auction for the past few days thinking I might bid on it, but now I see there was no reason.
Are these things really worth that much?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&itemY48615922&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT Cheers, Brad

No.
I've never understood why people put a premium on "collectibles". To me, it's only worth what you can open it and use it for.
-- David

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&itemY48615922&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

Same for diamonds;their value is artificially maintained;South Africa and Russia cartels have so many diamonds stockpiled that their true value is negligible,IF they were put on the market.
When civilization falls,how much is a diamond worth? ;-)
I bet a single MRE is worth more to the tsunami survivors than any diamond.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

diamond.
Probably but the diamond would be more tender. ; )
Randy
I suspect it's all about memories. The rockets pulling the high dollars date from 40 +/- years ago. The guys buying them have made their money and are trying to buy back into their childhood.
Not so different from the real reason a lot of us OFBARs are back in rocketry, if you really think about it.
--
...The Bit Eimer NAR 84054 L0
"My goal in life is to be the kind of person my cat thinks he is"

and
I'm just trying to finish the first one.

Verna says my first childhood officially ends at midnight of the last day of my 49th year. The 2nd childhood starts 1 second later as I reach 50. : )
Randy
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------020101030900020800050105 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
snipped-for-privacy@charter.net wrote:

<pre wrap=""><!---->Verna says my first childhood officially ends at midnight of the last day of my 49th year. The 2nd childhood starts 1 second later as I reach 50. : )
--------------020101030900020800050105--
zathras wrote: << Ha! I just turned 51. I had a bit of a life crisis at 49 because it was the last time I could say I've more years ahead than behind (I'm living to be 100 one way or another!). >>
Happy belated birthday!
I just hit 50 on January 4th. Hasn't really bothered me -- with all the grandkids I have, 50 seemed apropo. :) Plus, having lost friends and family members in the past few years, I can't see getting depressed about getting older -- makes you cherish the time you have, know what I mean?

And THIS is what you do with it!!
David wrote:

For me, there are very few kits I'm willing to spend much on. The Estes Goonybirds, which very few others care about, are it.
Why? Because I think they're cool and because my Zoom Broom is the rocket I remember best from when I was a kid.
That said, if anyone has a Star Snoop kit they're willing to part with....
-Kevin
I believe it was P.T. Barnum that said "There's a sucker born every minute.", a truism after this last election proved we didn't learn from prior mistakes (99% voted for either of the Big Two again). Were Barnum still alive I'm sure everyone's favorite cyber auction house would be known as "Barnum and E-Bay's Circus".
Chuck
Zathras of the Great Machine wrote:

IMHO, Barnum grossly underestimated the situation.
Bill Sullivan
"Propane is for the weak and timid. A true warrior cooks with charcoal." -Worf's Targ Barbecue Book

Nah... a true warrior eats it raw.
Randy
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------090802000203050606050705 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Now now, give the guy a break, he didn't have the tech and times we have when he said it. Were he alive today he'd have been Enron's CEO and Presidente Bushwhacker's A-1 butthole buddy. Like so many similar things in this modern world it was the greatest show on earth (de jur).....until Iraq (de jur).
The Rocket Scientist wrote:

And I agree with the other opinion of such. To experience it in the original thlIngan...raw! ;-)
Chuck, who worries about when the clowns run the show.
--------------090802000203050606050705 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Bill Sullivan
--------------090802000203050606050705--
<snip>

Yep, nothing like steak tartar with a bit of sashimi on the side! I'll pass on the oysters, though.
--
...The Bit Eimer NAR 84054 L0
"My goal in life is to be the kind of person my cat thinks he is"
On 14 Jan 2005 16:28:57 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net wrote:

By definition, yes they are. Things are worth exactly as much as, no more and no less than, someone is willing to pay for them.
- Rick "Armchair economist" Dickinson
--
Sir Desmond Glazebrook: "Beauty? This is a building, not an oil painting."
James Hacker: "And the environment?"

"The more you pay, the more it is worth." -truism

The only time I've heard of you practicing this was the 40 grand to the Man incident. If you paid it, thanks for the help with the federal deficit.
My comments below:
snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&itemY48615922&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT
Well, sorta.
I have not seen any sales of the Canaroc Starcruiser Warlock, nor have I seen any information about it.
I would absolutely love to build one or even see one fly. I love the looks of it! I'm baffled as to how the glider separation/parachute release action would work, so curiosity has been killing me. If anyone could scan and post the plans somewhere, I'd be eternally grateful.
On the other hand, if it's just going to sit as an unused kit somewhere, it's value is only as a collectible and as a bragging piece... it's a trade item in a purely artificial economy, whose value is solely whatever someone wants to pay for it, devoid of any real practical value or meaning.
I wouldn't pay hundreds for it, personally.
Dwayne Surdu-Miller SAROS #1