Long shot - looking for a plan of an oval with central shared terminus

Some years ago I remember looking at a layout with a central terminus, surrounded by an oval. Train left, orbited for a bit, then arrived on the other side of the central platform. Meets the needs of a local lad, but I cannot find anything on any such layout on the web. Anyone seen such a things, I'd like to pass him a worked example rather than just my sketch.

Regards

Mike

Reply to
Mike Smith

It is a long shot, as layout designs are not common on the web. Three common topologies:

a) Terminal on central peninsula attached to oval around outside via a wye (triangle). Takes a lot of space, as width must be 2R + X, where R is minimum radius, and X is allowance for clearance between track and outer edged o layout, plus any allowance for double tracks, etc.

b) Terminal on inside of oval, attached via junctions at each end. Takes less space than a), but scenic treatment more tricky. Variation" terminal attached via one junction, plus reversing track across oval to reverse train so it can enter terminal.

c) Figure 8 with terminal on one side, and a reversing track connecting the lobes. Variation has terminal connected at both ends, this requires two reversing tracks.

All may be combines with double-lap ovals, which requires more width. On larger spaces, the topology may be disguised by draping the mainline to rise and cross over itself in several places.

HTH wolf k.

Reply to
Wolf K

You might be lucky at the library with Cyril Fraser's old books for = peco.

The best I can think off was a two level with the terminus at the top = back

Reply to
Trev

You might be lucky at the library with Cyril Fraser's old books for peco.

The best I can think off was a two level with the terminus at the top back

Thanks chaps - Kolf's B variant sound rather good, if he has the length to play with and Mr Freezers layout might be of interest, although a multi level arrangement might be difficult as a first effort.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Smith

Yes, I seem to remember a Freezer plan based on Euston station that was of that design in a 70s issue of Railway Modeller.

Fred X

Reply to
Fred X

What scale are you interested in "OO" or "N" ?

Plan 11 in the Peco N Gauge planbook is similar to this - a central terminus with oval and platforms either side of the station but has additional sidings etc.

I can let you have a scanned copy but would I be right in thinking that attachments to messages are banned in this newsgroup.

Reply to
Kevin Lee

Ah Ha! I thought I had seen a plan as well as a layout, I got him the plan book a while back, will stop by this weekend and take a proper look at the space he has. It's N because he is inheriting some track and rolling stock from me.

I'd still like to find some pics of that layout though, it was a good few years back and on reflection I think it may have been N as well. Doodling I am not sure how to handle goods traffic.

Thanks and regards

Mike

Reply to
Mike Smith

Mike, Make sure that whatever you design will allow you to reach whatever is in the centre of the layout, assuming that you are operating from outside the oval. Regards, Bill.

Reply to
Bill Pearce

"Bill Pearce" wrote in message news:4a9a365e$0$5423$ snipped-for-privacy@news.optusnet.com.au...

Yup, think that's sorted, front side will hold the goods yard (shunting needs hands), behind the station will be carriage sidings (probably end up hosting DMUs, a run round loop at the front would be accessible but not round the back), station to the left, curve hidden under raised roadway with ramp down to yard area, turn table access to MPD to the right, turntable accessed from both sides of the station, MPD to the rear, and some storage siding at right front. Curve at right running between houses to break the view a bit. Not sure of the space just yet, if it's long enough add a couple of storage loops on the rear run under a raised street scene. I'm enthusiastic, not so sure about his Mum though, space is an issue. May end up 'Continetal' as their stuff can all cope with 7.5 inch red curves at the ends, reduces overall width to 18 inches, which may swing it with the domestic authorities (18 inch by eight foot shelf in the bedroom). My old stock (Minitrix, GF etc) can handle curves that tight but not I believe the modern stuff. Planning on using Fleichman track, beggar to paint but has all the bits I need and I like the way the point motors can be inverted and set into the surface. Pity they don't do a longer rad curved point, but you can't have everything. If I get the go ahead I'll need to have the track laid and wiring done by Xmas with some scenery, do the rest with him later. Moved into a new flat and began a new career not long ago, so my own current effort is still propped up awaiting time to resolve a couple of wiring problems, been there for two years now, not even started on the scenery. Getting twitchy, need to make something but I've run out of kids that want toy soldier sets and scenery.

Regards

Mike

Reply to
Mike Smith