Goodby to the Historic Texas State Railroad?

They have cut the funds away from "Our Historic Railroad". If you can get out to East Texas and ride the TSRR this summer do so. It's a great trip and
may be our last chance until we can vote in some new more park friendly weasels down in Austin. If you are a fellow Texan or anyone who cares about this wonderful piece of history and our parks please let those responsible hear you loud and clear. http://www.texasstaterailroad.com /. You can follow the link to email your thoughts to state representitives. Even if your not from Texas let them hear your thoughts about it. Thanks, Bruce

I am sorry to hear of your troubles.
Looks like a great tourist attraction.
Have you tried attracting outside investment with a view to increasing visitor numbers?
--
Kind regards

Benedict White
Bruce Favinger wrote:

That's a shame. Texas has been electing state governments for more than a decade that are dedicated to cutting corporate taxes and state services, now the people who voted for those politicians are complaining about the consequences. I'm sorry to see the rr (not to mention the rest of the state, being a 6th generation Texan) go under, but, tough, you reap what you sow. Maybe you can get some of those rightwing megachurches that control Texas politics to donate to the railroad's upkeep.
How come a small country like the UK can have hundreds of railfan owned and operated "Heritage" steam railways, and the U.S. of A doesn't?
-- Cheers
Roger T.
Roger T. wrote:

lawyers.
DaveW wrote:

That's rich. The Texas State Railway is owned by the state of Texas, so it's a major stretch to suggest that it's problems are a result of liability issues. No, the railway is taxpayer-funded and there's no taxpayer money left to pay for it because of Texas corporate welfare.
It's just more than I can stand to not point out the analogy to Amtrak- same thing happened for the entire country that happened in Texas, under the watch of the same chief executive. The Texas State Railway goes down the toilet followed closely by Amtrak, and if either of them survive it won't be because of the sound fiscal policy of the guy(s) running the state(country).

But Roger was not limiting himself to the Texas State Railroad, he was referring to a "group of railfans".
One of the biggest reasons that live steam is becoming a thing of the past in the USA is the liability issue. A "group of railfans", even if they could scrape together enough to buy, maintain and fuel a steam locomotive, will have much, much more trouble finding and paying for the liability coverage that they would require. If they managed to do that, they would be finished off the first time someone filed a claim.
I'm willing to bet that in the UK, if you sell a ticket to someone under the condition that they, the ticket buyer, assumes all risk, that they bloody well assume all risk and would be laughed out of court. Not so here.
Pity.
DaveW wrote:

However, by giving a single word answer, "lawyers", he pretty much is saying that's the only reason. If a state owned, subsidized and operated system cannot make a go of it without private concerns for liability, it follows that there must exist other cost issues besides liability that make it difficult to profitably run a railfan railway.
Most likely it is the tremendous cost of maintaining ROW and ancient equipment in a culture where the skills for doing so are increasingly rare. Nervertheless, there are quite a number of railfan railways in the US.

Yeah, you can figure that every time there is a bear stock market or big catastrophe like 9/11 or Katrina, the insurance companies are going to start screaming about plaintiffs' lawyers as they try to cover their losses.

I wonder if stronger liability concerns would have made the Snowdon Railway a little more careful about how they built it so that it didn't jump the rack the first time it ran:
http://www.worldrailfans.info/Articles/Europe/UKSnowdon.shtml
It's ridiculous to say that the railfan assumes all risk when they ride the train. The railfans have to be able to trust the engineering. If you're suggesting that the safety analysis of a UK railfan railway is the responsibility of the railfan at the time the buy the ticket, my suggestion is to stay the heck away from those trains. The railway must assume responsibility for representing to the public that their conveyance is safe to the best of their knowledge. That is a far cry from the "ticket buyer assumes all risk".
On 15 Jun 2006 07:29:42 -0700,

All the political rants aside, the TSR has a pretty boring ride through the East Texas piney woods. Lots of trees, but short on wide vistas, and no photo runbys. Add that to being located ~120 miles from the nearest large urban area, and it makes it difficult to draw repeat riders. We went once when we lived in the Dallas area, but riding DART is more interesting (less mosquitos too...).
fl@liner
fl@liner wrote:

Can't see the forest for the damn trees. It ain't the Appalaichans. I don't know what kind of wide vistas you're expecting from East Texas. Some people might find the forests interesting, tho.

120 miles ain't that far fer Texas, with the highest speed limits in the country, BTW.

It seems to do all right. The town at one of the endpoints sure did complain about having their station shut and losing tourist dollars estimated in the tens of millions.

Shut it down and scrap the equipment. In fact shut down all the state parks and sell off the land to political crony developers for pennies on the dollar. Build the lake because what Texas really needs is yet another artificial lake for water skiing, fishin' and vacation home parcels.

Why in the world should people who don't care one bit about railroading be forced to pay for something *you* like? If you like it, pony up. The welfare to complain about here is forcing others to pay for what you want due to your own sense of entitlement.
--
Jon Biggar
Floorboard Software

Jon, Most people don't care about the railroad. However the railroad is only one of many parks in the State that offer a wide variety of activities to a lot of people. Most folks don't give a hoot about any of it but many make use of the parks. Some go fishing, some picnic, some hold social and church functions, some go hiking, some go biking or horseback riding, some ride the train, some marvel at the hills and canyons, some hunt fossils, some love old forts and historical places, and some play baseball. The parks though always poorly funded ( Texas spends less per capita than most every other state on parks) are all being affected by deeper and deeper cuts. Our taxes are for welfare. For the welfare of all of us no matter how rich, poor, diverse or eccentric we may be. The idea that tax money used to help or benefit other citizens its the same as welfare or entitlement is absurd. But that is exactly the attitude that has been prevailing in this most red of red places. Bruce
Bruce Favinger wrote:

The way government runs parks is shameful. Not because they are underfunded, but because they waste too much funds on frivolous crap (glitzy "visitor's centers", etc). They tax you to pay for the land, tax you again to "use" it (even though you aren't consuming anything but air), and they treat the true owners (the public) like dirt.
On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 01:03:36 GMT, Jonathan Biggar wrote:

So how do you feel about spending public funds on high school football, doofus? Typical right-wing creepazoid rant.
--
Steve

Steve Caple wrote: > On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 01:03:36 GMT, Jonathan Biggarse wrote: > > >> Why in the world should people who don't care one bit about >> railroading be forced to pay for something *you* like? If you like >> it, pony up. The welfare to complain about here is forcing others >> to pay for what you want due to your own sense of entitlement. > > > So how do you feel about spending public funds on high school > football, doofus? Typical right-wing creepazoid rant.
No doubt about it Steve, he's a poofter and a dunce. I'd lay odds that if anyone suggested removing government funding from the things *he* likes, he'd cry like a girl.
Steve Caple wrote:

Ah, the response of the ill-equipped debater. Attack the person, not the logic.
--
Jon Biggar
Floorboard Software
On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 18:32:23 GMT, Jonathan Biggar wrote:

Jonathan, I don't know if YOU are a typical right-wing creepazoid; I was talking about the typical rant. A lot of people pick up and pass on such crapola just because they live in, say, Tejas.
--
Steve

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 17:19:41 -0700, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

Are you trying to declare yourself as a left wing slimeball lunatic here? Is that your goal? -- Ray
On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 11:46:46 +0800, Ray Haddad wrote:

Nope. Unlike 99% of the Bush administration, I served my country, however mistaken it turned out to be; was shot at and hit and decorated for it. The lunatics are the Cheney-Rumsfeld Axis of Evil that blew the war against Al Qaeda in Afghanistan, started their NeoCon headquarters warriors' wet dream war in Iraq, screwed the pooch on the aftermath of the inevitable immediate military success, and despite all evidence keep fools believing their patent BS. They're liars, cowards, cheats and traitors.
--
Steve

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 23:55:13 -0700, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

You could have just answered in the affirmative instead of demonstrating it like this. -- Ray