[FU] Success for Vess - He made a difference.

My fellow modelers:

Vess Irvine has come to r.m.s. with the avowed purpose of changing opinions and votes in the upcoming US Presidential elections toward John Kerry. Every fiber of his body is driven to that goal. Today I attempted to change my wife's vote away from Kerry, and I failed - completely. I write this to declare to you all that Vess was directly responsible.

First though, let me tell you about my particular situation. I live in Pennsylvania, about 15 NW of Pittsburgh. PA is one of those "swing" or "battleground" states with a closely divided electorate and 21 electoral votes. It is also one of the most tightly contested, with polls showing differences in Bush/Kerry support consistently much less than the polls' margin of error. On top of all that, my wife and I are both registered with "No Party Affiliation", making us key targets of both Republican and Democrat electioneering, with almost daily mailings, automated phone calls, and personal visits by local pols and candidates. Here - perhaps more so than just about anywhere else in the country - one vote truly can make a difference.

My wife, despite her strong support for a complete nuclear/chemical cauterization of the Middle East, was not convinced that Bush should be re-elected because of his conduct of the war. Her co-workers are obnoxious right-wingers, which adds an "I'll shut you up" factor to her choice to vote for Kerry. When driving by our polling place recently she even mentioned that she was going to vote for Kerry on November 2.

This morning, Vess posted his latest missives indicating that Republicans are automatons for not dropping their support of Bush every time a ridiculous Internet rumor starts. In the same post, he stated with absolute certainty that there is nothing that the Democrats (Kerry Edwards, or the DNC) could do that would ever cause him to drop his support for Kerry. His message truly disgusted me, and made me realize that I had to try and get my wife to change her vote for Bush.

Now, I read his message just before my wife and I left for our run of Saturday errands. In the car, I tried my best to find an opening, a position that I could use to try and change her mind. I went over her support of the President's war policy, the "Bush Doctrine", and the need to kill more of Them, but she was unyielding in her support of Kerry. I was getting desperate, afraid that my vote would be "cancelled out" by hers, and worried that I had not done enough to save my country from what I'm sure would be a disastrous future. I needed to change her mind, if for no other reason than to prevent the obvious loonies like Vess from winning. I even tried describing the types of people - Vess in particular - who were voting for Kerry. Surely she did not want these monsters running our lives?

Unfortunately, I could not win. Nothing I presented could sway her. Under no circumstances was she going to change her mind.

Just as my despair was rising, she turned and said to me, "Look, there's no way I'm going to vote for Bush. But how about this: I'll just stay home on election day and not vote."

"Fair enough", I replied.

So Vess, I hope you are proud of yourself. As of this morning, my household was planning on casting two critical, swing state, independent votes: one to George W. Bush, and one to John Kerry. Tonight, and on November 2 - as a direct result of your rabid, ridiculous, and vile postings - this household will cast only one vote, and that will be to re-elect our President. If you had just kept your mouth shut, or even shown that you were voting FOR Kerry rather than merely AGAINST Bush, I wouldn't have felt the need to challenge my wife today.

Think about it Vess. Not only did you not convince some r.m.s.'er to add their vote in for Kerry, you actually cost him a vote. This wasn't a vote in New York or Texas where the existing margins are so large that a 20% swing from today's polls STILL wouldn't make a difference. Nor was it a vote in someplace like New Mexico or West Virginia where the margin is small, but so is the number of electoral votes. No Vess, this was Pennsylvania, with a race too close to call and a decisive number of electoral votes at stake. And you blew it because you just could not sit on your hands for once and keep from typing another one of your asinine posts.

Way to go.

KL

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin

I can't wait to watch Pennsylvania's (and thus the nation's) fate turn on that one vote.

See, Vess, it'll all be your fault.

Glad I never said anything about this race.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

"Mark Schynert" wrote

Aw Mark, you know it's not that the point at all.

Vess knows he's obnoxious, but apparently has justified it in his own mind by has stated something like "If I can change even one vote it'll be worth it." When someone works hard and nobly for the greater good, rubbing their face in the futility of it all may be good fun for a short while, but ultimately is probably bad karma.

When, on the other hand, Vess' "Crusade of Mean-Spirited Ignorance" is mocked, it's something all of us can enjoy, alone or with our families and friends.

KL

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin

While I don't agree with any of the silliness that is continually posted here, I MUST ask: Is this the same Vess that sells resin items on Ebay, and who is from Ft. Worth, Texas. I've thought for some time that it is, and for that reason I have NOT purchased probably $200 worth of his stuff online. If I'm mistaken, please correct me, because some of the items are pretty cool.

Reply to
Robert Skipper

Vess didn't cause your wife to abstain. You did.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad Modeller

IIRC 'our' Vess is from Colorado.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

"Mad Modeller" wrote

Ahh, but I was content to let things lie as they were. Even if I choose to take what you say at face value, it was Vess that changed MY mind from acceptance to action. He claims to post here in an attempt to change people's minds, so success!

What it comes down to is that nothing would've happened if ol' Vess had just sat on his hands for once. He lives to make a difference, so I thought I'd point out a case where he did. That'll make him happy, right? I love spreading cheer.

KL

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin

Me, too. His rants inspired me to work even harder for Bush's re-election so I've been busy getting new voters to register and support him. Got at least 10 so far and my latest victory was my son

- he registered for the first time in his life and will be voting for Bush.

Thanks, Vess! ;-p

Reply to
Al Superczynski

And the corollary, of course, is what I call the "Springsteen Factor". It proceeds thusly:

You think that both Bush and Kerry are reasonable candidates, and while you'll most likely vote for Bush, you never know. You really like Bruce Springsteen's music.

But the Boss comes onstage and between beloved ballads (which you've paid $125.00 to hear) begins to bemoan America's lost love amongst the French and Germans; shucks, maybe even among the Dutch. Then he unctuously urges you to stand guard against the coming Republican voter suppression plot.

On Election Day, you high-speed plow your SUV through the polling place doors at 6 AM and vote - repeatedly- for Bush. You return home and use your Springsteen CDs as paint palettes.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Carroll

I got my niece registered, she got her two roommates on the ball and the three of them are Bush votes. They're in college in an urban area that usually trends Dem (though we live in a red state), so that's three Kerry votes that are negated. Same for the Democrat candidates for Governor and Senate as these three sweet lasses are voting straight tickets. OK, so they're voting straight tickets only because it's quicker and easier, but alas I support their judgement. ;-)

My Pro-Kerry leaning sister bought a new PC this spring and called me over to set it up for her. As a courtesy I set her home page to Fox News ;-) I dropped by to fix an e-mail problem a couple of days ago and I was surprised to find that her home page was still set to FoxNews. I was even more suprised when she declined my offer to switch it to something more agreeable (like Oprah - peeuw!). The surprises just kept coming as she informed me that she had completely soured on Kerry (and especially Edwards) and was voting for Bush again. She'll be doing it with a little pinch of the nostrils, but it still counts as a Bush vote -- even in West Palm Beach.

I would have never thought about including a little FoxNews in her diet if I hadn't discovered online from the moonbats like Vess how much they really detest Fox News.

Four more votes for four more years -- Thanks Vess! Hugs and kisses.

WmB

WmB

Simple because we turned the tube on during the last debate we caught part of it, Kerry had just finished speaking and gave his "car sealesman" grin, my comment of, "Now he's going to bring up underocating" at first cracked my wife up then she said, "You're right, he does come across that way. I'm not voting for him." While she may not vote for Bush, she sure as hell isn't voting for Kerry.

Reply to
Ron