bellied up to the trough

A lady from the local work force center called and asked if we could hire somebody and they pay the wages.

So, I just hired a new employee. You folks (taxpayers) pay the bill. Its only for 100 hours, but I couldn't believe my ears. Sounds like this is a continuing program and they (The govmint) will have several more.

I know you're shocked to find out the govmint is wasteful. Probably more shocked to see me dipping right in.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Kind of really shocking. I am even surprised. Now people would hire personal servants for free. Weird

Reply to
Ignoramus18915

It's not wasteful at all. The idea is that you get a free preview of the worker and it gives them a chance to prove themselves to you. The hope is that a fair number of these freebie employees become actual paid employees after they've had a chance to show they can do a good job. The folks selected will typically be ones that are difficult to place for whatever reason and need someone to give them a chance. If it works, they get off of unemployment, perhaps wellfare, etc., if not it's not really any extra taxpayer cost since we were already paying them to some extent while they were trying to get a job.

Reply to
Pete C.

No, it's for real businesses, and ones where there is some likelihood of continued employment after the difficult to place person has had a chance to prove themselves. Even in the cases where there isn't a continued job, hopefully the person will have picked up some useful experience that will help at the next job prospect. These people are already being supported by taxpayers through wellfare and similar, so it doesn't represent any real extra cost and help get some of them off assistance.

Reply to
Pete C.

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 16:01:39 -0500, "Karl Townsend" wrote the following:

So this is how Barry gets his 3 million new job creation figures, eh?

What's the catch? Does the gov't figure that after 2.5 weeks, you feel that the new hire is indispensable and start paying them yourself?

P.S: Why did you dip in?

-- To see what is right, and not to do it, is want of courage or of principle. -- Confucius

Reply to
Larry Jaques

This has GOT to be some game for job figures, our county is over 10% unemployment and gets special target federal funds. Sounds like I get one at a time as long as I need and I can let bad ones go. I guess businesses all over are getting the same offer. The govmint lady asked me for more businesses that might be interested and told me if I know of anybody that hasn't had a job in 60 days to apply and work for me.

I'm a cheap bas$%#@. Maybe I'll vote Obama if I get enough free handouts. I hear its habit forming.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Ok, what have you done with the real Karl???

Reply to
cavelamb