Set up coolant

Yesterday was the day to work on coolant stuff.

This mill has a coolant sump in the bottom. It is more or less accessible, through a door that screws on on the side of the mill.

I wired the 110v coolant pump so that it is controlled by EMC. When I press F8 or click on "Flood", coolant starts. The mill has a coolant button, which used to control the pump directly. I did it through EMC so that I can turn coolant on and off via G code. I will later work on integrating the coolant switch with ENC via halui, but for now I disabled it. Since this is a motor, I did not want PPMC to control it, and instead use a DIN rail mounted solid state relay that I had for this purpose.

The content of the sump was about 1/2 water/old coolant and 1/2 tramp way oil. The mill works so that way oil drips down and goes into the same sump, can do nothing about it. My guess is that that stuff was there for very many years.

On the scale of disgustingness, 1-10, it was about 6. Took me about 4 hours to clean up the sump. I put in "Hangsterfer S500", donated to me by Mike Henry (Thanks Mike!), for new coolant. It should last about 2 years or more and does not mind a layer of way oil on top.

Ignoramus18915

Ignoramus18915 fired this volley in news:wp6dnQbE4_WXTc_RnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

On my BOSS-9, the oiler runs whenever either the spindle or the axis motors are on, and the coolant pump is manually over-ridden from the front panel, but if enabled, turns on whenever the spindle turns.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

That could work. I believe that I can set that up in configuration of EMC.

Ignoramus18915

On the scale of disgustingness, 1-10, it will be an 11 if you get anaerobic bacteria growing in your sump. A cheap aquarium pump run 15 minutes a day will prevent this. You've been warned.

I also run a belt skimmer the same 15 minutes a day, keeps the oil off the top.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Yes. I have a aquarium pump and a belt skimmer also. Belt skimmer is trickier to put in due to access. WIth this S500, it is not as necessary, it does not seem to develop bacteria. It is *really good stuff*.

Reply to
Ignoramus18915