Finally installed coolant skimmer in the mill

The mill has a sump, where coolant is supposed to be, and where the tramp way oil also collects. I always wanted to install a skimmer to remove the oil, and finally got around to doing it after a discussion on emc-users.

This is a belt type skimmer. It is similar to McMaster item 2165T11.

While the skimmer works, it could not pick the oil since the oil was not fresh and the oil film would not move towards the skimmer. So, I fired up the coolant pump, which seems to be doing a fine job at breaking the surface tension and getting the oil to the skimmer.

After about 4 hours, most iol was removed, but I will run it overnight to really clean up and start with clean, fresh sump. With new tramp oil, if I run the pump often, the oil film will be drawn to the belt without having to run the coolant pump.

I also have McMaster item 2144T51 (disk type oil skimmer) for sale, price $70. It is called "Abanaki Mighty Disk Oil Skimmer".

Ignoramus3297

I have a similar belt skimmer on my CHNC. I found that putting a little fish tank aerator opposite the skimmer and running both on a timer 15 minutes a day works perfectly. The air kills the bad bacteria.

karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

That's nice to know that you run both of them at the same time. That saves the hassle and cost of having to use two timers.

Reply to
Ignoramus18625