Best way to make a pulley for round belt

Inspired by Nick, I'm going to make a tramp oil skimmer for my mill. I've scrounged a length of 7mm dia. PU belt that I'm going to use but I don't have any pulleys, so I plan to turn up a pair. I'm going to use Delrin and need to cut the correct profile which is a shallow flat sided V groove 7.2mm wide at the top with a 3.4mm rad at the bottom; obviously I won't need to be too accurate as the power transmitted is negligable. I was thinking of cutting this in 1 hit by grinding a form tool for the correct profile but I'm not sure if that's the best way; I seem to remember reading up on cutting V belt pulleys somewhere but can't find the article any more. Any hints as to the best approach? Martin

Reply to
Martin Whybrow

Naw, just plow in, it's only Delrin.

10,000 rpm, 10 ft / im feed, back of a garden rake for a tool - priceless

. Regards,

John Stevenson L Stevenson [ Engineers ]

Reply to
John Stevenson

I just used a V-shaped lathe bit. The angle was 60°. But I found out that you will need to transmit *some* force. When you let sit the PU-belt for a while under tension, it will get deformed and then will slip. So you need a bit rough surface. I made mine out of aluminium and will see wether sand blasting them cures the problem. Some radial scratches with a scriber solved the problem for now. :-)

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Professor Chaddock recommended a 30° included angle for the round belt pulleys on the Quorn. I used this angle for the pulleys on my cobbled together toolpost grinder and it seems to work. You may need a bit more tension if the belt is slipping after deforming when stationary.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Oh sorry! It was 30°. It slips with all the oil on the belt. If I would tension the belt more, it only would be deformed more and I'm fearing a too big radial load on the tiny gearbox of the motor. So it's best not to use a too slippery material for the pulleys. Maybe CI would be better or an even sharper angle than the 30°

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

That explains the rake embedded in my shed roof then...

Reply to
Steve W

Some of our tramp skimmers use a poly timing belt with a smooth steel pulley that just hangs in the belt loop to tension it. A piece of plastic rubbing against the smooth side of belt to scrape along with a troth to catch the oil and that is a skimmer.

Another design I tend to like has two smooth pulleys that are on motor outside the sump and on a spring loaded extension below the sump. Between them an endless loop of plastic runs. This way the plastic scraper can scrap both sides of the belt.

Wes

Reply to
Wes