The EUR 14.99 oil-skimmer (for coolant)

Hi!

On Friday, I thought it was time to clean my mill. As I already had an headache, I thought I could have a look into the coolant sump (or is it swamp?). A thick layer of brown jelly stared at me and was crying something like "no light!". Well, I pulled it out with my hands and decided to finally build an skimmer.

Looked around and found a PU belt (round cross-section). Only thing missing was a small geared motor. So on Saturday I went to buy one. 14.99 for a

12V, 8mA, 25 RPM motor. With that, next I turned two pulleys (20mm diam), welded some crap together to hold the motor and the second pulley. That thing was now a vertical bar with one pulley on an axle on the lower end and the motor with the second pulley on the top. The wiper (to wipe off the schmutz on the belt) was made of some brass milled, drilled, soldered, hammered and sawn and a bit of an old bicycle-tube with a 3mm hole punched into and a slit so the rubber could be slipped over the belt.

The lower pulley went into the sump. The belt attracts oil more than water. So when the belt is moving upwards, it is elevating the oil upwards, over the top pulley and then through the wiper that is holding the mess back and collects it in some can.

Let it run over night and the next day my sump was clean like on the mill's first day in 1946. It really pulled all the oil (but not the solubeable(SP?) oil in the coolant, before you ask) out of the farest corner.

If you want to build your own, the belt's speed should be at least 1.5m / minute or maybe up to 5m / min. PU seems to work good enough. An oil-resistant rubber should work OK too.

The skimmer looks as bad as it works good.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

That are 80 mA!

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Neat job, but sounds like you have a bacterial or fungal infection in there, does it smell bad? I would be inclined to clean it out, sterilise the tank with bleach, and start again with fresh. Infections can push the acidity up and cause corrosion.

Reply to
Newshound

No, it didn't smell at all. It looked like solidified oil. My mill is losing a lot of oil, I might have replaced the sealings first. :-)

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Let it run over the weekend on our cnc's and one comes in to a way oil slick across the floor. DAMHIKT.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Come to think of it, it may be the anaerobics which smell. The jelly description certainly sounds like an aerobic infection I came across recently; I didn't get to smell it, but I don't think smell featured in the descriptions.

Reply to
Newshound

I'll watch it growing again. :-) I'll see wether more frequent cleaning helps, now that I don't have any excuse. I switched the oil recently (but only filled up). Before I used CIMCool and on my small lathe it has been in a container for at least 5 years without any infection (didn't use it that much there).

If it's coming back, I'll have to thoroughly clean the tank (which is quite a pain on a Deckel).

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

across

featured in

least 5

I think that you will find that the 'jelly' is mainly de-emulsified soluble oil. I get the jelly effect on several machines but the bad smells only on one, despite using system flush anti bacterial stuff on it several times.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

What could be the cause for that? Could the hydraulic oil react with the soluble oil?

The answer "maybe" is not a valid one. :-)

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Could be.........

Reply to
John Stevenson

de-emulsified

...perhaps ...conceivably ...possibily ...mayhap ...perchance

The good thing about the English Language is that there are many many ways of saying the same thing

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson