Removal of stinky coolant

Due neglect and mismanagement, the coolant in my lathe finally went bad after several months in the sump. I have to add here that I have
all ingredients for setting up both the skimmer, as well as aerator, to run on two timers, something that I plan on doing soon. But as of now, I want to make sure that I properly remove old coolant.
As far as I understand, I should try to really get rid of the harmful bacterias that live in the present coolant. I have a easy to use water pump that I can use for this purpose.
So my plan was, pump out the coolant, rince the sump a couple of times with just hot water with some Simple Green, then put water with bleach for an hour, and rinse some more. Would that seem to be a good plan?
Exactly what I did. After I learned my lesson, never had trouble again. FWIW, I run the skimmer and aerator just 1/2 hour a day when not in use.
Karl

Exactly my plan. First run skimmer for 1/2 hour, then aerator for 1/2 hour.
Ignoramus31261 wrote:

There are antibacterial additives available to kiil off the existing bacteria in your coolant. I would recommend you call the manufacturer of the coolant and see what they recommend.
John

You really need to wash off the machine to, because you could have bacteria laying in pockets of the machine waiting for fresh coolant to revive them. At work they clean all the machine surfaces with disinfectant before adding new coolant.
Richard W.

I would just pour in a couple of buckets of doluted bleach and can run the pump for a few minutes with it. Would that work?

Bacteria that live on bleach are not uncommon. You really ought to use both a anti-bacterial agent and fungicide inside and out. Antibacterial soap is everywhere. Check a pool supplu house for the fungicide. They will have something and DO wash the entire machine and then rinse it well.
JC

The coolant can get splashed all over while cutting. So if you just run the pump you may not get into all the nooks and crannies on your machine. At work they have a specially built pump and wand to spray the disinfectant around and scrub the really dirty spots. Then they rinse everything out.
Richard W.

Nothing wrong with cleaning, but everybody is just scaring you. These guys are anaerobic, won't live long in an O2 rich area like a machine surface. Keep the oil film off the top of the sump and give the coolant a bit of O2 daily, you won't have trouble again.
Karl
On Sat, 9 May 2009 04:55:23 -0500, "Karl Townsend"

True indeed. Run a fish pump an hour or day with a decent stone on it and ou will be golden.
Gunner, machine tool mechanic. "Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimum food or water,in austere conditions, day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon. He doesn't worry about what workout to do--- his rucksack weighs what it weighs, and he runs until the enemy stops chasing him. The True Believer doesn't care 'how hard it is'; he knows he either wins or he dies. He doesn't go home at 1700; he is home. He knows only the 'Cause.' Now, who wants to quit?"
NCOIC of the Special Forces Assessment and Selection Course in a welcome speech to new SF candidates
Can't you get synthetic coolant for that and avoid the problem all together? When I set up my surface grinder several years ago, I went to an industrial lubricant and solvent company and they sold me some stuff that never goes "bad". It cost $135 for a 5 gallon pail 10 or 15 years ago) and I dilute it 32:1, using a 15 gallon tank.
My brother worked at Gardner Machine for many years and he used to tell about how bad the place smelled every Monday morning, and I didn't want that in my shop.
Pete Stanaitis -----------------
Ignoramus31261 wrote:

I will call some places to find out where I can buy it. It would be great indeed.

Igor,
I've been using Hangsterfer S500 for a couple of years now and the first batch is still odor free and I've never aerated it. It's sitting in a bucket, gradually evaporating the water off before disposal. I use it at 5% - I can give you a sample if you need enough to make up 5-gal or so of diluted coolant. The stuff costs around $125 for 5 gallons so it's a good idea to make sure you like it before you buy.
Mike

Mike, I am just about done pumping out the coolant, rinsing, rinsing with Clorox, rinsing several times more etc. After another hour or so, the lathe would be clean and totally dry inside and out.
So I am interested in getting something that would hold up for a few years. I do not really mind paying a fair price for a gallon of concentrate if it really is as good. Let me know and I can stop by with some cash in hand to get that Hangsterfer stuff, a gallon or however much you can sell.
On May 9, 8:45am, Ignoramus11970 <ignoramus11...@NOSPAM. 11970.invalid> wrote:> Mike, I am just about done pumping out the coolant, rinsing, rinsing

Be sure to rinse well; chlorine bleach causes rust.

    Do you have a high intensity UV source? If so, giving the interior a half hour of illumination from that (keeping the kids away, of course) would perhaps zap the last bugs.
    Enjoy,         DoN.

I can spare a gallon, no charge in view of past favors rendered. I should be home just about all of next weekend - can you stop by then? Email me to confirm, or call if you still have the number.
Mike

Mike, this is awesome, I sent you an email.
Ignoramus31261 wrote:

Definitely call Engineered Lubricants. Their salesman called me and I told them the sorts of materials and processes I did, and he brought out a gallon of concentrate to try out. Well, I am a total convert. I am really embarrased I haven't used up the free gallon so I can buy some of their stuff, I am very happy with it compared to the Tri-Cool junk that was awful with the growth problem.
Jon
Or you could run cutting oil and be done with the hassle, as I advised a few months ago. I made the same mistake many years ago, switched and haven't regretted it since. The fact is that as a hobby machine, we simply don't use the machine enough to prevent this from occurring with soluable oil. If you do not have a drain petcock on the bottom of the tank, you should install one once the machine is cleaned. Steve