TLC'ing the coolant sump?

Hi!

Today I had to pick something out of my mill's coolant sump (it is in the base). Having cleand it a year ago (what a mess) I again had to grab into something that feels like jelly. Must be the oil leaking here and there.

What do you do to keep the sump clean (or cleaner). I know there are skimmers, but is it really worth the effort or are there better / simpler solutions?

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

A tramp oil skimmer is dead easy to build. But I see cheap ones (cheap may be the operative) for under $60. What's your time worth?

One of my bosses used to run the coolant through a "sorbent sock". They're polypropylene fiber that won't absorb water or water solutions, only oil.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Hehe Nick did it have eyes and bite you ;-) You got a bit of a bacteria problem probably.

You can get various additives to treat this. I eventually went over to fully synthetic coolants which don't seem to suffer the same way.

Reply to
Wayne Weedon

How does that look like roughly?

For others a lot, for me nothing. :-)

Umm, where would I get that. Is it something like a filter found in body shops for filtering the outgoing air during painting? Or in a vac cleaner (one of those hi-tech sacks)?

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

LOL! I would have expected that from the feel.

Maybe, but I _guess_ no. The oil I am using never stinks. I had one can that sat for years (open) without stinking. Do all bacteria stink?

In the 70's I had a oil that smelled like broke after a week.

I cleaned the tank of my mill a year ago thoroughly with soda and detergent.

If you could confirm that there are non-stinking bacteria that make part of the coolant feel like a jelly fish (never touched one), I'd try this.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

Both items can be found at industrial suppliers like MSC or McMaster or whatever equivalents you have in your area.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

three varieties:- one with a belt

one with a bit of plastic tube
and one with a disk.
I suspect that any of them could be made out of bits lying around the workshop :-)

Regards Mark Rand

Reply to
Mark Rand

snipped-for-privacy@gmx.de (Nick Müller) wrote in news:1hjjvu6.lvty3k1mg2vjeN% snipped-for-privacy@gmx.de:

PM to clean it more often.

There is really no 'cure' for it as the way lube will always migrate to the sump. A skimmer helps, but won't get all of it.

Reply to
Anthony