"Why Hobby Rocketry should not be regulated by the BATFE" Persuasive Speech

Hi all,

I am in college, taking a Intro to speech course. I would like to post my outline to my persuasive speech here for opinions. Please do not tell me that you don't need a LEUP, yadda yadda, because my audience doesn't need to know every little detail. Also, what do you all think of the conclusion? Is it OK?

Thanks, Jason

Toft, Jason Intro To Speech Professor Suess

30 September 2003 Word Count: 890

Why Hobby Rocketry should not be Regulated by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives.

Introduction You are standing among friends and fellow rocketeers, waiting anxiously. Finally, the Launch Control Officer reads your name and the name of your rocket off the flight card. The excitement builds as he starts counting down. 5. 4. 3. 2. 1. Launch! A thin thread of smoke appears at the bottom of the rocket, and with a loud roar, your rocket leaps off the pad at speeds approaching 300 miles per hour! As the rocket climbs higher and higher, it slows down until it reaches the highest point and the parachute deploys slowing the rocket down it gently landing it on the ground. I have just described to you the experience of launching your own rocket. Myself and thousands of other rocketeers experience this thrill numerous times every year. Due to new regulations proposed by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives, these rocketeers may lose one of the most exciting elements it encompasses, High Power Rocketry. First, I am going to tell you about the B.A.T.F.E.'s claims concerning this hobby and the counter claims made by the hobbyist. Next, I will propose a possible solution to this controversy and finally, I hope to show how my solution will solve this dilemma. . Should the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives regulate my hobby?

Problem

  1. State B.A.T.F.E.'s proposed regulation Ammonium Perchlorate Composite Propellant, as regulated now, requires a Low Explosives Users Permit to store in quantities (per motor) of more than 62.5 grams, according the B.A.T.F.E.'s Code of Federal Regulations, Part 55. Difference between true AP and APCP APCP could be used by terrorists (9-11 changed things, security, afraid of terrorist's intent)

In a letter sent to the B.A.T.F.E. from the Department of Justice on June 10, 2003, William E. Moschella says, and I quote, " These large rocket motors could potentially be adapted by terrorists for use in surface-to-air missiles capable of intercepting commercial and military airplanes at cruise altitude." Briefly explain the difference between a hobby rocket and a military missile (KISS!!!) 2. Explain motors (KISS x2!) Show Estes casing (explain that it uses BP, similar to a firework) Show Aerotech casing (RMS and Single use) They both burn, not explode (quickly define the difference) The motors get more powerful as you go through the alphabet (A,B,C, etc). An ?H' class motor is where the regulations begin.

  1. The B.A.T.F.E. permit is too expensive The process to get one is long and complicate, not to mention expensive, around 500 dollars total invested. This price is a lot of money for most rocketeers that are involved in HPR. 4. These limitations and the money involved will possibly cause the rocketeer to lose interest.
  2. This lost of interest by the adult hobbyist causes them to drop out of the hobby and this means that the teachers and mentors to children are lost. Children are our future!

Solution 1. It seems that the easiest solution to this problem would be a compromise. Since the motors don't get powerful enough to lift a large payload (read: chemical or biological w/ associated delivery systems), I propose that motors of ?N' class or above require a permit for use and storage. Also, the rocketeers that enjoy building large motors from scratch would also need to have a permit, since they already have all the tools and materials necessary to build gigantic motors that a terrorist could possibly use.

This will satisfy the B.A.T.F.E. and the Department of Justice's claim that the motors can be used for the terrorists purposes. If a terrorist wanted to buy or make a large rocket motor, they would have to go through the same processes that a legal citizen would have to go through!

This will also satisfy the rocketeer's interests since they will be able to launch their rockets legally until they get to the largest of the rocket motors.

Solution will work 1. Since no permits would need to be had until the rocketeers chose to launch the biggest rockets, the interest and the passion is still there. As said above, the more adults and impassioned teenagers we have in our hobby, the more mentors we will have to help educate the children!

The more children that have their fire lit for a science career, the more future pilots, astronauts, engineers, and scientists we will have. It is very possible that one or more of these children could be the first person to walk on Mars!

Conclusion If hobby rocketry is regulated in the way that the B.A.T.F.E. wants, the impact will not be on just the current rocketeers, but also the rocketeers of the future, their children, and many others. If the B.A.T.F.E. wants to go ahead and affect all of these people, I challenge them to reconsider their actions. They obviously don't see who all will be affected. The people affected won't be just rocketeers, but also colleges, high schools, scientific institutions, NASA, the aerospace industry, and many other people in high places. If the choice ever comes to you to choose which road to choose, like in a vote, I encourage you to be patriotic and choose the correct path.

Reply to
Jason Toft

It's all bullshit.

Rockets are exempt now. Read the EXACT wording of Part 55 (now 555) as it relates to rockets at

Jerry Irvine

Sure, and my grandmother's wheelchair "could potentially be adapted by terrorists for use in high-speed pursuit vehicles, capable of intercepting commercial and military trucks on interstate highways."

Good speech, BTW.

Reply to
BB

This should be in the FAQ.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Jason, I had a lot of fun, and learned a lot in my speech class. Your outline for a persuasive speech is ok. It follows the general outline and uses some of the established features of persuasive speeches. Remember that this is a persuasive speech, not an informative one. Don't try to use too many facts, rather use an emotional attack.

Your title is an example of a carefully crafted emotional statement. - it works well.

The fact - BATFE wants to regulate a chemical, not a hobby. The emotional spin -a big scary federal police agency wants to arrest little kids flying toy rockets

Another example, "APCP is not an explosive" is a fact. But that fact alone might not work well in a persuasive speech. An emotional statement such as "I live in the Land of the Free, not the land of increased governmental regulations" and "It's the Home of the Brave, not the home where everything is dull and safe".

Some other suggestions...

- Confusion and fear play a major role in this issue. Many people do not understand the current situation, and leave the rocketry hobby out of fear.

- It's not just the federal permit cost, but also the confusing array of other local agencies such as the fire Marshall or building inspector that might have to be contacted. The LEUP is usually clogged with red tape. Just "looking into" the process of obtaining a LEUP is enough to scare away many hobbyists.

- The increased regulation has had a very bad effect on transportation of these rocket motors, causing even more headaches and hurdles for the end user. In 2003, the 4th of July was almost canceled due to transportation issues with fireworks ( containing many of the same BATFE regulated chemicals) Emergency 11th hour Federal legislation was used to save the day.

- The BATFE position is supported by the US Patriot Act. Many people are starting to believe this act is unconstitutional.

- These amounts of ACPC are already efficiently regulated by the hobby organizations NRA/TRA at no cost to the taxpayer.

- All increases in governmental regulation and beaurocracy are paid for by taxpayers, thus this problem effects all American taxpayers.

Good luck on your speech!

-Scott

Scott Sager