Senate Press Release: Enzi decries hobby rocket opposition

News Statement

For release: July 29, 2003

Enzi decries hobby rocket opposition

Washington, D.C. -U.S. Sen. Mike Enzi, R-Wyo. disagreed with two senators' efforts to block legislation introduced by Enzi that would shield some model rocket enthusiasts from Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) regulations that have threatened the hobby.

U.S. Sens. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., and Frank Lautenberg, D-N.J. held a news conference today promoting regulation of hobby rocketry.

Enzi made the following comments after the news conference.

"It's a sad state of affairs when we see a government agency and senators go to such lengths to squash efforts to preserve a constructive, educational and important hobby enjoyed by millions of Americans. This kind of opposition to my legislation serves to discourage innovation and darken spirits. It doesn't make Americans that much safer, but it does make us more fearful and less free.

"When I introduced this bill I hoped it would pass quickly. I thought that surely it was not Congress' intent when it passed the Homeland Security Act to make it more difficult for young people to enjoy model rocketry and hobby shop owners to make a living, but it appears this was the intent of at least two members.

"You can drag out all the dressed-up props you want, high-powered rockets are already regulated and this would not change under my bill. My legislation, after modification and passage by the Judiciary Committee, represents a compromise that takes into account the concerns of other senators regarding potential terrorist activity even though there is no known pattern of attempts by terrorists to use unguided hobby rockets as weapons. My bill would simply allow rocketeers to transport and purchase rocket motors that contain less than .9 pounds (409.5 grams) of APCP rocket propellant without being required to obtain a permit from the ATF.

"My bill is not a license to build bombs and the senators know it. A National Research Council study, Containing the Threat from Illegal Bombings, listed the top 29 common explosive and precursor chemicals with demonstrated potential and history of criminal use. It did not list APCP or recommend controls on it. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts.

"My colleagues must be hearing complaints from back home about their holdup of my bill. I hope rocketeers will continue to educate their elected leaders about the merits of my legislation. I will continue to work to pass this common sense bill."

-end-

Reply to
izzy

Text of their press release:

Headline & Sub-head:

"Lautenberg, Schumer Join Forces to Stop Republican Attempts to Pass Legislation That Would Make it Easier for Terrorists to Build Missiles in US"

"Ashcroft Justice Dept. Opposes Legislation"

Lautenberg is quoted as saying, "The bottom line is that some of the rockets people are building these days aren't "models" - they are missiles with tips that can be filled with explosives or biological or chemical weapons."

Nothing yet on Schumer's web site.

Reply to
Anonymous

So, Enzi now supports weight limits? I thought you blamed that on NAR? Or am I confused about some other conspiracy theory.

Reply to
David