Senator Enzi has new legislation

You have to add the colon to the link, since my Outlook Express likes to drop the final colon from links:

-Fred Shecter

Fred Shecter

I like this idea. But unless there are bison in Virginia, won't the Monticello-loving legislators in that state get their undies in a twist about this?

How about putting the reverse of the Buffalo nickel on it unchanged?

Paul

Reply to
Paul Anderson

Bring back the Buffalo Nickel!

Reply to
default

Bison. Not Buffalo.

And remember: if you call the Indian Head Nickel the "Buffalo" or "Bison" Nickel, then the SBA Dollar should be called the "Apollo XI Dollar".

-Fred Shecter

Fred Shecter

Are you kidding? Do you know how DANGEROUS bisons are??? Why, they're HUGE! You could easily destroy a small china shop with one. Additionally, native Americans may be offended by the image of the bison since it invokes the memory of the previous buffalo nickel which contained a stereotypical image of a native. The image of such a beast is enough to cause anxiety and widespread fear. The potential "mayhem" that a person could cause by misusing this image of a bison is cause for concern. For example, someone could enter a newsstand in close proximity to Newark International Airport during a busy flight schedule and cause widespread panic. The mere potential for such an act warrants heavy regulation regardless of the burden imposed on individuals.

I'd like to hear what Sens. Schumer and Lautenburg have say about this.

Reply to
Alex Mericas

Bring back the buffalo first. : )

Randy

Reply to
Randy

UGH!

I've never been offended by stereotypical images of Indians but some people do take themselves too seriously. They don't represent who we are, they are just caricatures. The wigwam I live in is 4200 square feet, brick, 2 stories, has 4 bedrooms, 2 baths, a 3 car garage and a den big enough for 20 people to watch the game of the week.

For the most part, we are just like you, only we were here first. ; )

Randy

Reply to
Randy

Not stereotypical. Based upon real live people. See the above link or any of the hundreds of other links any web search will provide.

-Fred Shecter

Fred Shecter

With all the buffalo wings served each day, I'm surprised there are any buffalo/bison left at all. At least ones that can still fly. I'd love to see the bison featured on the nickel again (instead of Jefferson, and I'm from Virginia), front or back-- doesn't matter.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Remick

A buffalo on the nickel? Eh -- it's been done. Doesn't anyone have any

*new* ideas anymore?
Reply to
Bob Flaminio

drop the final

How might we go about honoring the heritage of Native American Indians collectively on a coin or currency without the fear that the image will appear "stereotypical" to someone? I think we have become so gun-shy of somehow offending anyone nowadays, that we are made to feel guilty even when we choose to honor a group of people, be they Pilgrims, Indians, whomever. But then it does appear that your post was sort of tongue-in-cheek.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Remick

My TeePee is a bit more austere. I do go to work, I don't drink or smoke, I collect coins with Indians on them, especially the nickel, and love the 1899 $5 Silver Certificate. I also like my Indian Dollar, with the Bison reverse. BTW I don't however collect welfare and don't know of anybody in my family that ever did.

I say bring back the INDIAN NICKEL, with the Bison reverse! Imagine that?

Dave emails to (myuserid).at.lycos.com

Tir nam Beann, nan Gleann, s'nan Gaisgeach - Saor Alba A-Nis!

Reply to
Scottishmoney

Have you seen the Sacagawea Dollar? That coin design did injustice to Randy L'Teton, she is a HOTTIE. That was my only problem with that coin. Maybe they should put a portrait of her on the $10 bill instead of Reagan.

Dave "Tsala Aniyunwiya"

emails to (myuserid).at.lycos.com

Tir nam Beann, nan Gleann, s'nan Gaisgeach - Saor Alba A-Nis!

Reply to
Scottishmoney

Bob, you have a good point. However I will point out that we are now seemingly a civilisation without original ideas, ie look at modern US commemoratives, and then name just one that approaches the level of design effort of the 1920-1920's era Commems. Then look at our sorry politico inspired coinage, and compare it with the masterpieces of the early 20th century. If we don't have original inspiration, at least we can find it in the past.

Dave

Reply to
Scottishmoney

Buffalo and Bison, Bison and Buffalo...

Cannonball and Rifle, Rifle and Cannonball...

That's the way the bee bumbles... that's the way the bee bumbles....

Reply to
Vince

Think of the children!

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

That's what I've called all of them as long asthey've had the mission patch on them...

Bob Kaplow

"A bill to recognize conservation efforts to restore the American bison from extinction by placing the image of the American bison on the nickel, and for other purposes. "

Who writes this stuff? Ambiguous context is his specialty. I didn't think it was possible to restore a species from extinction. Moreover, I don't think placing them on the nickel did the trick. They did it the old-fashioned way, if you know what I mean. :)

I know the bison was rescued from near extinction, though. Mostly to the efforts of Fred Dupree, Scotty Philip, and Custer State Park (SD). Philip's famous buffalo ranch was within several miles of this computer. Even today, there are two major bison ranches within 30 miles of here, one started recently by Ted Turner and the other has been here for decades.

BLReed

To email me click here:

collector coins and supplies at fair prices:
things:
bust coins:

Byron L. Reed

Ted serves them at his grill. He also uses Golden Dollars and Twos.

-Fred Shecter

Fred Shecter

I don't follow this. Could you explain? Or am I just missing the humor?

Reply to
Scot Kamins