Re: Which Apollo mission...

(Yeah, Google is my friend, but I knew that it was from 12, since I've

>been going through the Apogee series of books and CDs - they are >*outstanding* resources for anyone interested in the various missions.)

There's also an excellent account of this in Andrew Chakin's classic, "A Man On the Moon", my personal recommendation for the best collection of Apollo history yet written.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = Mark B. Bundick mbundick - at - earthlink - dot - net NAR President www - dot - nar - dot - org

"A dark night in a city that knows how to keep its secrets, but high above the quiet streets on the twelfth floor of the Acme Building, one man is still trying to find the answers to life's persistent questions. Guy Noir, Private Eye."

Reply to
Mark B. Bundick

Yes, I agree. I read that one quite a while ago.

I am currently reading a book I stumbled across in a little used book shop in Seaside, OR. It's "This New Ocean - A History of Project Mercury", completed in 1966 by Loyd S. Swenson, Jr, James M. Grimwood, and Charles C. Alexander. It was published as a part of the NASA Historical Series, a product of the Scientific and Technical Information Division of NASA's Office of Technology Utilization. It's about 520 pages, with an additional 150 pages of footnotes, sources, etc. This clothbound hardback was riginally sold by the Government Printing Office for $5.50.

This was written very close to the events, and the writers had uparallelled access to the primary sources. It has a lot of good info about the background of the project (scientific and political) along with the full history about the development of the suit, capsule, and everything else associated with the project. Lots of good, rarely-seen photos, too.

This one is an outstanding reference resource; if anyone ever comes across it on a dusty shelf someplace, go ahead and snap it up!

Reply to
Anonymous

Well, it was an easyone (loved the scene in the HBO series! "Wait, wait, I know where that is").

Now, dig one up we can't all recall off the top of our heads,...

Joel. phx

Reply to
Joel Corwith

"Holy shit! Did you see that!