Senator Lautenberg's press release

from [ http://lautenberg.senate.gov/~lautenberg/press/2003/01/2003729742.html ]
Lautenberg, Schumer Join Forces to Stop Republican Attempts to Pass
Legislation That Would Make it Easier for Terrorists to Build Missiles in US
Ashcroft Justice Dept. Opposes Legislation
Washington, D.C. - Today, United States Senators Frank R. Lautenberg (D-N.J.) and Charles Schumer (D-NY) joined the Bush Administration in opposition to a Republican sponsored bill that would exempt the purchase of certain explosives used to launch 'high-powered hobby rockets' from federal license, permit and background check requirements currently in place. The legislation (S.724) which Majority Leader Bill Frist (R-TN) attempted to pass without debate or a vote, would allow terrorists and criminals to acquire large amounts of explosive rocket propellant without law enforcement's knowledge; placing Americans at further risk and jeopardizing homeland security.
"Allowing anybody to walk into a store and buy huge amounts of rocket fuel is crazy. We need to protect our homeland from terrorists; not give them even more tools to harm Americans," said Lautenberg. "The bottom line is that some of the rockets people are building these days aren't "models" - they are missiles with tips that can be filled with explosives or biological or chemical weapons."
"Sometimes the things you see in Congress make you scratch your head in wonderment. Why anyone in the post-9/11 world would think that making it easier to get bomb-making materials is a good idea is beyond me," Schumer said. "This bill would essentially create a new loophole that lets terrorists and criminals accumulate large amounts of the same kinds of explosives that the Unabomber and other terrorists have used. We should be tightening the restrictions on this stuff, not loosening them. This is legislative lunacy."
The legislation sponsored by Senator Mike Enzi (R-WY) and supported by Majority Leader Bill Frist (R-TN) would exempt high powered model rocket users from going through the federal permit process, allowing anyone to purchase up to two pounds of certain explosives at a time, up to .9 pounds of rocket propellant, as well as fuses, matches and igniters without getting any kind of permit or undergoing any kind of background check.
The Homeland Security Act law requires purchasers of the explosives most commonly used in high-power hobby rockets - ammonium perchlorate composite propellant (APCP) and black powder to undergo background checks and get permits from the ATF. APCP is used in the boosters of the Space Shuttle and can propel model rockets as high as 20,000 feet. In addition, the Justice Department, in a letter to Senator Orrin Hatch (R-UT) in opposition to the bill, explained that these high-powered model rockets could be turned into missiles with a range of nearly five miles.
"Passing legislation to loosen rules on buying explosive rocket fuel is not just irresponsible, it's crazy," said Lautenberg.
[ posted here by iz ]
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety
--
Stephen Corban
NAR# 81338

http://lautenberg.senate.gov/~lautenberg/press/2003/01/2003729742.html
Boomer wrote:

Here's the response from out of state:
Thank you for contacting me. Due to the volume of e-mails, I can only respond to constituents with New Jersey mailing addresses. If you need further assistance, please contact the Senator from your home state.
Rocky Firth
Boomer wrote:

The story has hit the AP wire: http://tinyurl.com/ig5g
Rocky Firth
What is scary is that you need to go to: http://www.senate.gov/~schumer/SchumerWebsite/pressroom/special_reports/Blac k%20Powder.pdf
Schumer is the other half of Latenburg... He says that this legislation makes it easy to accumulate large quantities of explosives, and his reference is to BLACK POWDER, has any one told him with an old muzzle loader you can buy 50lbs, and all we are asking for is 2lbs... and the motors he are referring to are not regulated now, and are planned on being regulated...
We need to flood these two idiots with educating phone calls if you ask me...
Erik Gates

Guess I can not get any more gasoline for my car, as it actually does work by detonation!

Missiles
in
or
amounts
security.
rocket
days
with
beyond
loophole
have
by
of
perchlorate
feet.
range

Unfortunately, in most cases trying to "educate" idiots has been futile. But it would be nice if that were not so in this case. Let's see....In a galaxy long ago and far away..... Larry Lobdell Jr.
Why did they stop reading after 6.11 & 6.13 ? they should flip to the page that tell you how to make you own Napalm & C4 .
JD

Missiles
in
or
amounts
security.
rocket
days
with
beyond
loophole
have
by
of
perchlorate
feet.
range
AMW is located in NH. And testing is in NH. An honest mistake. Maybe they can move if it helps.
RDH8

Good Point! I think we should send both of them 10 copies of the report. How did the NH Senator respond to this bill any how ?
JD

Missiles
in
or
amounts
security.
rocket
days
with
beyond
loophole
have
by
of
perchlorate
feet.
range
snipped-for-privacy@acceptable-gains.com (izzy) wrote in

Lautenberg is a thorn in the side of firearm enthusiasts,too. He needs hanging by the neck as a traitor should.
--
Jim Yanik,NRA member
remove null to contact me
Jim Yanik wrote:

Right along side Asscroft.
Ted Novak TRA#5512

The sad thing is, you have more to fear from our own government than from terrorists - now that you've made the above "terroristic threats".
I've heard that phrase used to describe angry mutterings between kids in schoolyards - but it can get you some serious jail time...

I'm gonna laugh when the FBI tries a "sneak and peek" search of my abode!!
--
Jim Yanik,NRA member
remove null to contact me

http://lautenberg.senate.gov/~lautenberg/press/2003/01/2003729742.html
So much for land of the FREE and home of the BRAVE...
We'll have to change the song lyrics to "land of the handcuffed and home of the cowards" if this guy has his way.
Kenny Howerton
izzy wrote:
<Senator's press release>
So it begins, once again. The innocent versus the ignorant.
I note Chuck's call for increased regulation, typical for this demagogue.
I expect anti-American attitudes from the likes of Schumer and Lautenberg, but this press release is more stupid than most.
They're obviously talking about BP "explosives", but neglect to mention that law-abiding citizens can get 50lbs of it right now and terrorists can get as much as they want.
Chuck Schumer, at least, sees the terror situation as permanent; "in the post 9/11 world". A simpleton's admission that he can see no solution or end to the terror problem at all. We'll just have to live with terrorism in Schumer's cowardly new world. As with BATFE regulations, regular citizens will again pay the price for incompetence and lack of problem solving ability in Congress.
No "legitimate use" or concern for law abiding citizens even mentioned. Citing the DOJ letter for support shows ignorance bordering on sheer stupidity, or a lack of intellectual honesty and integrity at least.
Ya know, this release is really kinda scary. They've given us the so-called Patriot Act, formed the DHS, implemented the HSA/SEA, and kicked Hussein out by force. They've confiscated monies, shut down websites and terrorist support organizations, and repealed civil rights. Poor Arab-Americans have been raked over the coals for months. And yet, even with ALL this, the threat of in-country terrorist rings constructing homemade anti-aircraft, anti-tank, and CBW missiles from hobby rocket motors is so great that they feel increased regulation is necessary and we law-abiding rocketeers are mentally unstable ("crazy") for even desiring any relief. If hobby propellants pose such a risk by themselves, imagine how much danger we are in from real terrorist weapons. Apparently, nothing Congress has done to this point has been effective in reducing the terrorist threat at all.
--
Gary Bolles
NAR 82636

Someone should make a video for these guys of pipe bombs made from ordinary matchheads. Then a video of a pipebomb made from homemade NaClO4+fuel.
Here's a quick economic analysis of a homemade perchlorate lab, assuming our would-be terrorist has a small budget, and is interested in ending up with NaClO4.
110.00 Pt anode 50.00 Surplus 20A DC supply 13.00 316SS cathode 2.00 1 gallon glass jar 10.00 misc wire, etc 5.00 35lb bag of road salt ====== 190.00
To produce 31kg of NaClO4, from 15kg of NaCl would require 642kwH of electricity, and 191 days, using the above 20A power supply set to 7VDC. At $0.11/kwH electricity and 60% cell efficiency, that's $70.00 of electricity.
So for about $260.00, our friendly neighbourhood terrorist has produced enough NaClO4 to blow large holes in things, and done it in a way that's largely untraceable. Imagine a world where each of the above items is regulated like APCP. Imagine a world where posession of a 35lb bag of road salt without a permit could put you in jail for life...
Imagine living in a world worse than the USSR in the 1950s...
Your legislators are busy building that world.