Senator Lautenberg's press release

from [

Lautenberg, Schumer Join Forces to Stop Republican Attempts to Pass Legislation That Would Make it Easier for Terrorists to Build Missiles in US

Ashcroft Justice Dept. Opposes Legislation

Washington, D.C. - Today, United States Senators Frank R. Lautenberg (D-N.J.) and Charles Schumer (D-NY) joined the Bush Administration in opposition to a Republican sponsored bill that would exempt the purchase of certain explosives used to launch 'high-powered hobby rockets' from federal license, permit and background check requirements currently in place. The legislation (S.724) which Majority Leader Bill Frist (R-TN) attempted to pass without debate or a vote, would allow terrorists and criminals to acquire large amounts of explosive rocket propellant without law enforcement's knowledge; placing Americans at further risk and jeopardizing homeland security.

"Allowing anybody to walk into a store and buy huge amounts of rocket fuel is crazy. We need to protect our homeland from terrorists; not give them even more tools to harm Americans," said Lautenberg. "The bottom line is that some of the rockets people are building these days aren't "models" - they are missiles with tips that can be filled with explosives or biological or chemical weapons."

"Sometimes the things you see in Congress make you scratch your head in wonderment. Why anyone in the post-9/11 world would think that making it easier to get bomb-making materials is a good idea is beyond me," Schumer said. "This bill would essentially create a new loophole that lets terrorists and criminals accumulate large amounts of the same kinds of explosives that the Unabomber and other terrorists have used. We should be tightening the restrictions on this stuff, not loosening them. This is legislative lunacy."

The legislation sponsored by Senator Mike Enzi (R-WY) and supported by Majority Leader Bill Frist (R-TN) would exempt high powered model rocket users from going through the federal permit process, allowing anyone to purchase up to two pounds of certain explosives at a time, up to .9 pounds of rocket propellant, as well as fuses, matches and igniters without getting any kind of permit or undergoing any kind of background check.

The Homeland Security Act law requires purchasers of the explosives most commonly used in high-power hobby rockets - ammonium perchlorate composite propellant (APCP) and black powder ? to undergo background checks and get permits from the ATF. APCP is used in the boosters of the Space Shuttle and can propel model rockets as high as 20,000 feet. In addition, the Justice Department, in a letter to Senator Orrin Hatch (R-UT) in opposition to the bill, explained that these high-powered model rockets could be turned into missiles with a range of nearly five miles.

"Passing legislation to loosen rules on buying explosive rocket fuel is not just irresponsible, it's crazy," said Lautenberg.

[ posted here by iz ]
Reply to
izzy

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

Reply to
Stephen

What a dumb ass this guy is.

Once again, it's ignorant fools like this guy running our country. Isn't AMW located in NJ or didn't I hear something about testing done is Jersey and being deemed "ludacris" for declaring APCP explosive?

Jersey fliers need to get that article to this no brain ASAP.

-Boomer

]

Reply to
Boomer

Here's the response from out of state:

Thank you for contacting me. Due to the volume of e-mails, I can only respond to constituents with New Jersey mailing addresses. If you need further assistance, please contact the Senator from your home state.

Rocky Firth

Reply to
Rocky Firth

The story has hit the AP wire:

Rocky Firth

Reply to
Rocky Firth

What is scary is that you need to go to:

Schumer is the other half of Latenburg... He says that this legislation makes it easy to accumulate large quantities of explosives, and his reference is to BLACK POWDER, has any one told him with an old muzzle loader you can buy 50lbs, and all we are asking for is

2lbs... and the motors he are referring to are not regulated now, and are planned on being regulated...

We need to flood these two idiots with educating phone calls if you ask me...

Erik Gates

Reply to
Erik Gates

Guess I can not get any more gasoline for my car, as it actually does work by detonation!

> k%20Powder.pdf

perchlorate

Reply to
Dickinson's

snipped-for-privacy@acceptable-gains.com (izzy) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Lautenberg is a thorn in the side of firearm enthusiasts,too. He needs hanging by the neck as a traitor should.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

I guess I'm right you don't need a Brain to be a Senator if you did this guy would never made it pass the spelling his name right test.

Dan McCullough

]

Reply to
Dangerous Dan

Anyone have schumer's page concerning s724?

da rmr plumber Gary R Goldenbaum NAR #73669 L1 remove nichspam to reply

Reply to
GGoldy

Right along side Asscroft.

Ted Novak TRA#5512

Reply to
ogie oglethorp

So much for land of the FREE and home of the BRAVE...

We'll have to change the song lyrics to "land of the handcuffed and home of the cowards" if this guy has his way.

Kenny Howerton

Reply to
Hawarden

lots of BS deleted

That's what happens when a state allows their Constitution to be subverted. They get an old hasbeen Democrat that should have been put "out to pasture" for good years ago standing in for a sitting senator who's on his way to jail and can't win in a legal election. I hope that all of you Jersey Democrats that fly rockets are paying attention.

Mark Simpson

FWIW,

I went to his web site and sent a brief email stating my opinion on his actions. I'm sure by now he knows the difference between model and HPR rocketry so I didn't state the obvious to him. I DID let him know that even though I do not fly HPR and probably never will, the people who do, should have the right to do so, as they always have and without further restrictions. They need to know that those of us who fly what they term as toys, still support the guys who fly the big rockets and that we are ALL together, on our stand against further restrictions.

I hope everyone on rmr will as well.

Randy

Reply to
Stephen DeArman

Shouldn't somebody that has more technical knowledge than me, discuss the differerences between hobby rocketry APCP and Space Shuttle APCP.....I assume there is a major difference between the two? Composition, particle size,etc? SO that these PINHEADS can't continue to use this CANARD?

shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

AMW is located in NH. And testing is in NH. An honest mistake. Maybe they can move if it helps.

Reply to
Robert DeHate

Unfortunately, in most cases trying to "educate" idiots has been futile. But it would be nice if that were not so in this case. Let's see....In a galaxy long ago and far away..... Larry Lobdell Jr.

Reply to
Larry Lobdell, Jr.

The sad thing is, you have more to fear from our own government than from terrorists - now that you've made the above "terroristic threats".

I've heard that phrase used to describe angry mutterings between kids in schoolyards - but it can get you some serious jail time...

Reply to
Scott Schuckert

Someone should make a video for these guys of pipe bombs made from ordinary matchheads. Then a video of a pipebomb made from homemade NaClO4+fuel.

Here's a quick economic analysis of a homemade perchlorate lab, assuming our would-be terrorist has a small budget, and is interested in ending up with NaClO4.

110.00 Pt anode 50.00 Surplus 20A DC supply 13.00 316SS cathode 2.00 1 gallon glass jar 10.00 misc wire, etc 5.00 35lb bag of road salt ======= 190.00

To produce 31kg of NaClO4, from 15kg of NaCl would require 642kwH of electricity, and 191 days, using the above 20A power supply set to 7VDC. At $0.11/kwH electricity and 60% cell efficiency, that's $70.00 of electricity.

So for about $260.00, our friendly neighbourhood terrorist has produced enough NaClO4 to blow large holes in things, and done it in a way that's largely untraceable. Imagine a world where each of the above items is regulated like APCP. Imagine a world where posession of a 35lb bag of road salt without a permit could put you in jail for life...

Imagine living in a world worse than the USSR in the 1950s...

Your legislators are busy building that world.

Reply to
Marcus Leech