Sen. Enzi Inquiry on BATFE's Views Letter

Below is the text of a letter sent by Sen. Michael Enzi to Attorney General John Ashcroft regarding the BATFE's "Views Letter".
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = Oct. 16, 2003
Honorable John Ashcroft Attorney General Department of Justice Attorney General of the United States 950 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW Washington, D.C. 20530
Dear John:
Thank you for the letter to Senator Hatch, sent by your Assistant Attorney General William Moschella, commenting on S. 724. I appreciate having the Department of Justice's comments on the legislation I have introduced to provide exemptions for model rocket enthusiasts who purchase certain amounts of ammonium perchlorate composite propellent (APCP) to use in pursuit of their hobby. Model rocketry is enjoyed by thousands of Americans each year, and I am committed to passing legislation that will allow them to continue this enjoyable, safe, and educational activity. Model rocketry encourages students to study math and science, and it is a valuable tool for those who may be interested in the space program. Despite all of the benefits of model rocketry, the hobby and the small businesses it supports are still in danger of being wiped out by regulations.
As you may know, S. 724 was revised in the Judiciary Committee to address the concerns of committee members. My revised bill allows model rocketeers to purchase and transport .9 lbs of APCP without obtaining a permit from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF). I believe that the new provisions of this bill alleviate any concerns those members may have had, and I am hopeful that this bill will be passed by the full Senate soon.
Because the legislation is still pending, I am continuing to research the topic. I have compiled a list of questions below I hope you will answer for me. They are as follows:
Please provide any studies or analysis, or results of experiments, tests or demonstrations, performed by ATF or any other U.S. government agencies demonstrating or determining that APCP, when configured as solid rocket fuel, is explosive or detonable or "functions by explosion."
Does the ATF consult with other government organizations about APCP safety, hazards or regulation? If so, which agencies, and in what context?
Regarding the Department of Justice's letter of June 10, 2003 to Sen. Hatch, please explain in detail:
Any known incident in which APCP configured as solid rocket propellant has been used to build or detonate successfully an "improvised bomb";
How many of the 258 "explosive incidents" cited by DOJ as involving "hobby rocket motors, igniters and other rocketry-related explosive components" involved black powder rocket motors? Further explain how such motors were used or attempted to be used and the results achieved.
Which, if any, of the 258 "explosive incidents" cited by DOJ as involving "hobby rocket motors, igniters and other rocketry-related explosive components" involved APCP propellant and/or hobby rocket motors using APCP. Further explain, if any examples exist, how such APCP propellant was used or attempted to be used and the results achieved.
What is the scientific and/or technical basis for ATF's assertion that hobby rocket motors "could potentially be adaptable by terrorists for use in surface-to-air missiles capable of intercepting commercial and military planes at cruise altitude and for use in "light anti-tank" weapons capable of hitting targets from a range of nearly five miles." Please provide any documentation on which such concerns are based, as well information on all known examples of such activity.
Additionally, how many Low Explosives User Permits (LEUP) has the ATF processed in the past three years and what is the average time to complete the permitting process, beginning from date of receipt of an application by the ATF?
What is the ATF doing to ensure the availability and prompt processing of LEUP applications?
With regard to the rulemaking establishing a 62.5 gram weight limit for purchases of APCP rocket motors without an LEUP or limited LEUP, how many comments has the ATF received on this proposed rulemaking to date, and what percentage are opposed to the proposed rulemaking?
The answers to these questions are important to me, and I thank you in advance for your prompt response to them. If you have any questions regarding this letter or my requests, please feel free to contact me or have your staff contact my staff at (202) 224-3424.
Sincerely, Michael B. Enzi United States Senator
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = Mark B. Bundick mbundick - at - earthlink - dot - net NAR President www - dot - nar - dot - org
"The great enemy of truth is very often not the lie - deliberate, contrived and dishonest - by the myth - persistent, persuasive and unrealistic . . . We enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - JFK
Thanks for the post. I intend to write Senator Enzi to thank him for his efforts.
Randy
It is unfortunate that the answers that Ashcroft provides will be either non-descript or absent. My bet is that some junior staffer has already shredded the letter and there will be no answer. In any case, it is great to know that I have to strip down to a jock strap to get through a security check point at the airport all the while some 20 year old with a chip on his shoulder managed to get boxes of prohibited items abord airplanes! It is a matter of time befor the boolean logic guys at HSA come up with this:
If a man carries dangerous items on plane. Then dangerous items are used to destroy buildings. Then we cannot stop man from carrying items on plane. Then we must eliminate all planes.
GO HOMELAND SECRITY! THANKS PRESIDENT BUSH! I LOVE THE STRIP SEARCHES AT THE AIRPORT! WOW! WE ARE REALLY SAFER NOW THAT HSA IS IN FULL FORCE!
Arsbill wrote:

Ashcroft's answer may take some time. It seems that a bunch of subpoenas were issued in Philadelphia for information concerning one person (a lawyer) pertaining to city contracts. Normally a phone call would suffice to obtain the necessary information, but the Justice department saw fit to issue subpoenas and inform the video and print media to assemble for full exposure. There is a mayoral election in about two weeks. The incumbent Democrat mayor has accused Ashcroft and his cronies of trying to sink his re-election. We'll see, it appears the hard heads in Philly are not happy about the treatment of their mayor and their city.......Ashcroft appears to have sunk the election bid of the Republican candidate..........is it any wonder he lost to a dead guy??? He's expected in Philly next week to put out some fires, his ass is burning.
The phrase 'abuse of power' seems to be resonating around here a lot........never hire a guy who loses to a dead guy!
--

Chuck Rudy

VooDoo Digital Productions
Chuck Rudy wrote:

Ah yes, the City of Brotherly Love (and where I was born) where urban renewal comes at the end of two 500 pound bombs, dropped by a black mayor on a black activist group; where their former DA, Arlen Spector, postulated the world's biggest stretch of the imagination "single bullet theory"; where we all learned how to handle demonstrators by cracking their mellons Frank Rizzo-style and, more recently, where they continue to pump up Donvan McNaab, who hasn't had a good game in over a year but nobody's allowed to say anything bad about him for fear of repercussions from the PC police. ;-)
In case anyone's wondering where I've been, I've been getting two 94Z's ready for the last big drag race of the year. I had mine dynotuned and replaced the header gaskets and we're hooking up a throttle body NOx system on my son's. He's doing the wiring and I've been fabricting the mounting brackets for the bottle, solenoids, etc.

What size launch rod do the 94Z's use? ;)
Tim wrote:

1320 ft., I believe...
-dave w

I launch on a set of 10.5" slicks. ;-)
Mark Simpson wrote:

Mickey Thompson, Goodyear, Hoosier, Firestone, or whatever's on sale?
:)
tim

The Philadelphia Tactical Air Force's finest hour......they made MOVE live up to their name

......and won't lift a finger to help us on Senator Enzi's bill despite the fact he's on the Judiciary committee.......time to send him out to pasture and find some new blood.....I was rather upset as I thought the Warren Commision findings were supposed to be released after 50 years (2014) but now I hear it's 75 years and I ain't gonna be around

Frank told the world he wanted a police force strong enough to be able to attack Cuba!! and WIN!!! Gotta love th at guy!

I've been saying McNabb ain't no QB without the ability to run (we all remember Randall 'Marble and Granite from another planet' Cunningham....same thing except Buddy Ryan ain't here to post bounties, blow away the healthy and destroy the survivors.
Man, you gotta love this town! My father remembers an late Easter Phillies game where they had an Easter egg hunt for the tiny tykes and they fans booed the kids who didn't find any Easter eggs. Add to that a Mayor (who is now Governor) who paid a fan to throw a Snowball at Dallas coach Jimmy Johnson.......but any time we're on the World News it's always bad news........
Chuck

--

Chuck Rudy

VooDoo Digital Productions

It seems that they're trying to do the same thing with McNaab that kept Cunningham from ever completing a season. The guys AREN'T pocket passers, trying to make them one wrecks a mobile QB's body. Imagine Fran Tarkenton as a pocket passer. He would have been out of the league in a year. ;-)

And don't forget the Eagles game in which they booed Santa Claus. Eagle fans suffered through a lot of horrendous seasons before they became a powerhouse in the East. My Father-in-law had season tickets from the 60's to the late 70's befpore moving to Florida. I don't recall them having a winning record in too many of those years and right after he moved in 1980, they made it to the Superbowl. Maybe he was a jinx....yeah, that's it, the Curse of Hank O'Hara. ;-)
Mark Simpson wrote:

BINGO!!
You remember whey they gave coach Joe Kuharik a 20 year contract?!?! I still remember when the fans pooled their money and hired an airplane dragging the sign 'Joe Must Go' and it loitered around the stadium for about 20minutes.. :-D
Chuck
--

Chuck Rudy

VooDoo Digital Productions

We must be vewy vewy qwiet. We'we hunting tewwowists!

Makes me wish I lived in Wyoming, so I could vote for this guy.
On 18 Oct 2003 08:04:35 -0600, kaplow snipped-for-privacy@encompasserve.org.TRABoD (Bob Kaplow) wrote:

Same here... I'm due for a change of scenery and because of Enzi, I have added Wyoming to my list of possibilities.
Dan Chandler Southern New England Association of Rocketry http://www.snear.org /
How many people will want to bet that Ashcroft will just try to lie his way out of this one, like he usually does?
Mark B. Bundick wrote:

--
Richard A. Hubbard (remove the nospam to actually mail me)
"There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary,