MARF-III and October Fly III RESCHEDULED Nov 1-2, 2003

St Louis Rocketry Association has decided to postpone our two day launch and NAR regional competition (October Fly III)to November 1-2, 2003. Due to the rain we have had in the area recently the harvest of corn and soybeans from the field we fly on has been delayed. Therefore, we will not have access to the field on Oct. 25th. I hope that anyone planning on attending this launch will be able to change their schedule and still attend the launch and contest. When we scheduled the launch for this weekend back in January, we knew that there was a chance of this happening. If the weather had held out for us, it would have been nice to have October Fly in October for a change! A message from Bruce Weidner, our club president follows. If you were planning on coming to the regional competition and still think you can make it, send me an e-mail and let me know. I would appreciate it. If you recieve this message more than once, my apologies. I am tryimg to make sure that this message reaches all who are interested.

John Buckley

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

From snipped-for-privacy@stlouisrocketry.org Fri Oct 17 22:12:33 2003 Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 18:51:23 -0500 From: Bruce Weidner To: SLRA Announcements zz Subject: [announcements] ELSBERRY LAUNCH Postponed *

[The following text is in the "iso-8859-1" character set] [Your display is set for the "US-ASCII" character set] [Some characters may be displayed incorrectly]

Friday, October 17,2003 LAUNCH POSTPONED:

The "Mid America Rocket Festival III" and the "October Fly III" NA contest scheduled for October 25 & 26th, 2003 by the St. Louis Rocketry Assoc at Elsberry, MO. has been postponed. The launch and NAR contest ha been rescheduled for the weekend of November 1st & 2nd. The postponement is due to crops still remaining in the fields. One third of the crops have been removed from the launch site but crop removal has been slowed by recent rains. The farm manager informed me tha several days ago (Monday ?) the field had received 3/4 of an inch of rain. Last night (Thursday the 16th), the area around Elsberry and our launch sit received another 1/2 of an inch of rain. I called and talked to the farm manager today and he indicated that even with the predicted good weather this coming week, that he would not have the remaining crops out by Oct

25th. It will be 2 to 3 days before the field is dry enough to get the harvesting equipment back into the fields and then it will be slow going. If you would like the details of how moisture and dew effect the harvesting of soy beans, call me. Most of the launch detailes on our web-site will stay the same with only the dates changing. There is one notable exception. The waiver for High Power flights will expire at 4:00pm on Saturday, November 1st. Because of the change to Central Standard Time we will lose one hour of daylight. Our waiver requires us to stop High Power flights one hour before sunset. Range Safety Check-in for night launch rockets will also be moved up one hour (between 3:00pm and 4:00pm) on Saturday afternoon. When we scheduled the launch in January we planned for a 2-day back-up date on November 1st & 2nd in case of bad weather or crop problems. We realized that rescheduling the launch would cause difficulty involving things such as informing our members, other flyers and travelers and the dificulties of changing personal schedules, etc. We had hoped that we would not have to postpone the launch but as it stands now rescheduling the launch is the only way to save our only 2-day launch during the Fall season. Lets hope we have good weather before and during the launch on Nov. 1st & 2nd. For the latest launch status information please check our web-sites at:
or
Thanks for your patients and understanding.

Bruce Weidner St Louis Rocketry Assoc. and Tripoli St. Louis

Reply to
John Buckley