Goodby to the Historic Texas State Railroad?

GIVE ME A BREAK!!! The railroads exist because government granted them land and exclusions so the would exist. Few railroads have made substatial purchases of land or rights of way for their trackage.
--
The lotto must be rigged, I should have won by now.
Modular furniture is cruel and unusual.
Paul Newhouse wrote:

I don't know about this specific railroad museum, but I bet they got a similar deal (free land, tax breaks etc). Most do. I don't have a problem with that, either for a railroad or for a museum. Once established though, it's up to them to make it work.
The TSRR is not a private museum or enterprise. It's part of the Texas State Parks. I would imagine we would have very few parks to enjoy anywhere in the nation if we expected the parks to be profitable business ventures. Though the park is kept running by tax money and has probably never come close to turning a profit it does along with Rusk State Park create quite a bit of traffic in that part of East Texas. Bruce
writes:

Roger T. wrote:

Because the UK is an old country with a deep rich history and people who appreciate that and want to preserve it.
In the US if it doesn't involve the almighty dollar, they don't care. Also consider the mentality of most popular US TV shows. People who watch them don't know what history is.
Bill Dixon

The problem is the people who voted for the folks we have in office aren't complaining at all and that'smost of the people. Megachurches only pass the collection plate for their own use. The vast majority of people in Texas wouldn't give a damn about the Parks or the TSRR even if they knew what is going on. The only thing that will make em' scream down here is if you cut them off from FOX News, the Bible and Beer all at the same time. Bruce
On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 06:17:01 GMT, Mountain Goat wrote:

NF? Newly F---ed??
--
Steve

Steve Caple spake thus:

NF (smel)L, I think.
--
Any system of knowledge that is capable of listing films in order
of use of the word "fuck" is incapable of writing a good summary

You know, dumbed down football, add a down, make the field 15 yards narrower, 10 yards shorter and remove most of the end zone.
<G>
--

"I believe there are more instances of the abridgement
of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent
> That's a shame. Texas has been electing state governments for more > than a decade that are dedicated to cutting corporate taxes and state > services, now the people who voted for those politicians are > complaining about the consequences. I'm sorry to see the rr (not to > mention the rest of the state, being a 6th generation Texan) go > under, but, tough, you reap what you sow.
You're being unfair, I reckon. I highly doubt that Bruce has ever voted for politicians of that ilk.
Cheers,
Mark.