How to open a Kato can motor?

Kato sells replacement brushes so it must be possible, but I don't see how without destroying it. Can someone advise?

Richard:
How is this motor constructed? Is it housed in a drawn metal cup with a plastic brush holder at one end? If so, I am guessing the plastic holder is retained by bent-over tabs from the metal cup. Could you possiblly post a picture of it? I own no Katos.
Cordially yours: Gerard P.
A clever Japanese plot to sell replacement can motors?
Eric
richard schumacher wrote:

I just took a peak a the motor in one of my Stewart Kato F drives of 1989-1990 vintage and it has flat hex nuts on the ends that are the brush mounts. Other can motors of that vintage -- Sagami, Mashima, etc. -- had either the hex nuts for brush mounts or had end pieces mounted with small set screws that allowed access to the innards of the motor. I'm not sure about recent Kato motors but all the flat sided motors I have seen produced in the last ten years have the end parts attached by crimping. This is a fitting that is not intended to be taken apart, which means -- if it doesn't work right they want youth to trash it an buy another. You might be lucky and be able to grind off the crimps, repair, reassemble, and get proper function, but it probably isn't worth the time -- and most likely it won't work right after you mess with it.
J. Bright

jhbright wrote:

JH:
Well, he mentioned that Kato sold brushes, so I assume they are replaceable. It would be somewhat silly otherwise. By 'crimps' do you mean 'bent-over tabs'? If so, you can always pry up the tabs with a small screwdriver, then push them back down later...I've taken motors apart like this before & put 'em back together to run fine.
I guess the best way is just to look at the motor and see how it went together, then reverse the operation. If somebody assembled it, chances are somebody can disassemble it.
Cordially yours: Gerard P.
I just looked at a batch of motors I have and the Mashimas do have the bent retaining tabs so they should be serviceable. I also have a bunch of motors with no name on them that have the end caps crimped on -- a cut in the metal that is then squeezed in. On those there is no way to bend the crimp out to release the end piece. So, if your motor has screw or tab retained end caps you should be able to open them up for brush replacement and lubrication if necessary. I'm not sure how easily the tabs break so if you have those be careful.
J. Bright

To replace the brushes you can gently pry the brush holder out. Careful not to lose the springs.
To open the motor there are two tabs on each side that are crimped in. Pry the tabs out and disassemble.
richard schumacher wrote:

Use a "Kato Can Opener"?
-- Cheers
Roger T.
richard schumacher wrote:

Are you sure those brushes are for the H0 scale can motors? And not for the open frame N scale motors? I'm in N scale and I have replaced the brushes on those N scale motors. Brush holders just pull out of the plastic motor frame.
Peteski
Chuck is absolutely correct.
richard schumacher wrote:

how without destroying it. >Can someone advise?
I have changed many Kato brushes at MSI in the last two years. The problem now is that Kato is waiting for a resupply of the brush replacement kits. Funny that the teenie tiny Kato brush lasts so long compared to the huge Atheran RTR brush.
While we're on the subject, anyone have trouble with other brands of motors wearing brushes prematurely?
David Harrison