Goodby to the Historic Texas State Railroad?

against
They may be all that. But we are just trying to figure where all the money went. In Iraq where billions in cash have evaporated or here in Texas where the economy is supposed to be great, we don't have enough money. No one knows exactly how it gets spent, where it went, how it got lost, who was supposed to account for it, and there is no one blame. Rumsfeld sums things up very well........"stuff happens". "But, they are doing a great job". Poor Brownie, he's about the only one who was doing "a great job" and got the ax instead of a promotion. Bruce
: : They may be all that. But we are just trying to figure where all the money : went. In Iraq where billions in cash have evaporated or here in Texas where : the economy is supposed to be great, we don't have enough money. :     As one of the founding fathers observed: Politicians are like diapers - both need to be changed often.
                            Bruce
"I like bad!" Bruce Burden Austin, TX.

And for the same reason?
-- Cheers
Roger T.
Jonathan Biggar wrote
> Steve Caple wrote: > >>> Why in the world should people who don't care one bit about >>> railroading be forced to pay for something *you* like? If you >>> like it, pony up. The welfare to complain about here is forcing >>> others to pay for what you want due to your own sense of >>> entitlement.
>> So how do you feel about spending public funds on high school >> football, doofus? Typical right-wing creepazoid rant. > > Ah, the response of the ill-equipped debater. Attack the person, not > the logic.
There is *no* logic to your position, so one might as well attack you.
You're obviously both a troll and a fuckwit.
mark_newton wrote:

There we go. My case is proven.
--
Jon Biggar
Floorboard Software

Jonathan Biggar wrote:
> mark_newton wrote: > >>> Ah, the response of the ill-equipped debater. Attack the person, >>> not the logic. >> >> There is *no* logic to your position, so one might as well attack >> you. >> >> You're obviously both a troll and a fuckwit. > > There we go. My case is proven.
Mine too. Thanks, troll.
Steve Caple wrote:

It's another waste of money. School should be about education, not games.
,
Jonathan Biggar wrote:

Damn right. Hell, I don't even live there; I don't give a rat's ass anymore. I wouldn't want my kids breathing that air or going to those schools. In the words of Jesus, "Nobody should pay for anything unless they benefit personally and directly from it." I think He said that, didn't he?
You're gradually creating your own little piece of hell on earth. Enjoy.
"Dale, you giblet-head, we live in Texas! It's already 110 in the summer, and if it gets one degree hotter, I'm going to kick your ass!" - King of the Hill

Jon, I love that idea! Why should I, who have no kids, be forced to pay taxes to support a school system to educate someone else's brats? If they feel their kids need to be educated, let then pony up! Better yet, why should the taxpayer be forced to support an expansionist foreign policy that they may not want? I mean, if you like the Neo-Cons' plan to support Big Oil and the Saudis in the Middle East, by all means go to the nearest sporting goods store, buy yourself a suitable rifle and some ammo; then buy a ticket to Baghdad from your local travel agent, fly there and have at it... Look at all the taxpayer's money we can save by using volunteers like that instead of having the govt. pay for it! NO, WAIT! That means no profit for Haliburton which means no bonus for Chaney and no profit for the defense contractors which means no campaign contributions for the RNC which means.... Never mind. Gotta have SOMEBODY sucking at the Public Teat. Just make sure they kick back to the right people.. Franz T.
Franz T wrote:

Ah, I see. Someone else who can't understand that a line has to be drawn somewhere, and that someone might have a principled position that public education and national defense are important enough to fund from public money but a historic railroad just doesn't even come close to making the cut. Are you really claiming that your hobby is as important as education and defense?
Sheesh.
--
Jon Biggar
Floorboard Software
Jonathan Biggar wrote:

No, my hobby is trivial. I would, however, suggest that preservation of our nation's historic and natural heritage IS education and IS defense. I mean, throw that out, and what's left that's worth fighting for?
That's the problem with Texas: there's not much there left that's worth my tax dollars. It's almost laughable, that world famous Texas nationalism, when in fact the majority of the state is fine with letting it all go down the crapper. The Texas State RR is just the tip of the iceberg. Hell, in just my lifetime most of the Big Thicket has been cut down. That ain't coming back. Terrible schools, dirty air. I guess there are probably still places where you can see all those stars at night and the sky is that deep, dark blue in the middle of the day, but I haven't seen 'em in a long time.
I hope y'all are proud of yourselves. Texas ain't Texas anymore.
On 28 Jun 2006 04:18:25 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net wrote:

"Well the Gulf breeze was blowing Those sweet petrochemical fumes. I was hauling a truckload of cattle Through Texas in June. . . . I left I-10 at Beaumont To look for an open saloon. . . .
There we met. I felt passion grab hold of my heart. As blonde as the sun, Her skin brown as the sea . . .
In her car we discussed The newsworthy events of the day, With romance hanging thick As the air over Galveston bay. Then she locked her front door And took hold of my hand. Two bodies were thinking With only one gland. . . ."
from "Golden Triangle", The Austin Lounge Lizards
(also check out "Old Blevins" http://www.austinlizards.com/songs/old_blevins.mp3 )
--
Steve

Jonathan Biggar wrote:
> Ah, I see. Someone else who can't understand that a line has to be > drawn somewhere, and that someone might have a principled position > that public education and national defense are important enough to > fund from public money.
Yes, they are. But by all indications, public education in Texas is woefully underfunded, and as for defence, the less said the better.
So where *is* all that public money going, if not to these worthy recipients?
Mark, I was wondering that myself today as I dumped 75 cents in to the bin on the George Bush Toll Road. If not un-reported the news we get on legislation even on the state and local level is so full of conflicting ,bitter, venomous partisan BS that I really don't know what to think. If you take a coin that's made out of shit both sides of it stink. Bruce

The government is not supposed to be in the railroad business. Things like Amtrak and historic railroads should be paid for by those who want them, instead of sucking at the taxpayer's teat. If you can't find a way to make it work, tough. That's life.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

That's one vote, but that's all it is. If people decide the function of government is to run a railroad, then it is. If they don't care, then let it go down the toilet. These days, seems like a lot of people in Texas don't care about a lot of stuff, which explains why the whole state is pretty much going down the toilet.

Yes...it's that simple. I like it. That's pretty much the way its been for me and most folks I know. It could be even more simple, more pure and more efficient. How about if the tax tit sucking leadership lie, cheat, are incompetent, make a mistake, do not anticipate correctly or otherwise fail to make things work in a fair, efficient and immediate fashion they are given a rope and a quick drop. Then we take everything they have and tell their devastated families......tough......that's life. Next! Bruce
: : The government is not supposed to be in the railroad business. ;     Well, that's your opinion. I note, however, that at least two state run tourist railroads bring in a fair bit of cash to economically depressed areas of three states. : :                                  Things : like Amtrak and historic railroads should be paid for by those who want : them, :     Amtrak, I would tend to agree with. However, sweeping statements are often tripped up by exceptions, and should be used sparingly.
    As for the Tx St RR, well, Governor Goodhair may be out a job soon, and the decision to ax the start parks budget may to reviewed.
                            Bruce
"I like bad!" Bruce Burden Austin, TX.
Bruce, What's the political temperature down there in Austin? Here in Dallas it seems that most approve of Goodhair and other Reds. Especially those that stand up for high priority divisionary legislation such as anti-abortion, anti gay, and anti-flag burning laws. No one is worried about trivial things like education, the parks, the environment, the poor, the homeless, civil rights, liberty or the war. Why would anyone vote for un-patriotic people who are concerned about such anti-American things? Since they also have redistricting and own the folks who count votes in a number of places I would think that they are in like Flint for the next elections here in Texas and across the nation. Public opinion against them won't be enough. The opposition I see are mostly un-coordinated piss willies. Many people justifiably might think they would make an even bigger mess out of things than the Neocons. And the propaganda machine will be working overtime at levels of Roveian productivity never seen before to insure enough people stick with them even if they have to hold their nose while voting. Just watch the up coming elections on Fox Faux News and see the Reds gain ground. Hope I'm wrong but I doubt it. There are much greater things to be concerned about but I'm still going to miss the TSRR. But who really needs historic places or relics? Not the scarlet red Ann Coulter-Republicans whe have around here. They are re-writing American history anyway just as Bill O'Reilly and Fox News have dome swiftboating our brave dead men by accusing them with the atrocities at Malmedy. I just wonder how many Fox viewers ( probablt most )believed this disgusting lie and accepted it as O'Reilly's twisted justification for Rumsfeld's wink-wink nod-nod stuff happens atrocities in Iraq. Bruce