Goodby to the Historic Texas State Railroad?

Because the UK is an old country with a deep rich history and people who appreciate that and want to preserve it.

In the US if it doesn't involve the almighty dollar, they don't care. Also consider the mentality of most popular US TV shows. People who watch them don't know what history is.

Bill Dixon

Reply to
B Dixon

Ah, the response of the ill-equipped debater. Attack the person, not the logic.

Reply to
Jonathan Biggar

Jonathan, I don't know if YOU are a typical right-wing creepazoid; I was talking about the typical rant. A lot of people pick up and pass on such crapola just because they live in, say, Tejas.

Reply to
Steve Caple

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 17:19:41 -0700, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Steve Caple instead replied:

Are you trying to declare yourself as a left wing slimeball lunatic here? Is that your goal?

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

Nope. Unlike 99% of the Bush administration, I served my country, however mistaken it turned out to be; was shot at and hit and decorated for it. The lunatics are the Cheney-Rumsfeld Axis of Evil that blew the war against Al Qaeda in Afghanistan, started their NeoCon headquarters warriors' wet dream war in Iraq, screwed the pooch on the aftermath of the inevitable immediate military success, and despite all evidence keep fools believing their patent BS. They're liars, cowards, cheats and traitors.

Reply to
Steve Caple

Jonathan Biggar wrote

There is *no* logic to your position, so one might as well attack you.

You're obviously both a troll and a f****it.

Reply to
mark_newton

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 23:55:13 -0700, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Steve Caple instead replied:

You could have just answered in the affirmative instead of demonstrating it like this.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

There we go. My case is proven.

Reply to
Jonathan Biggar

Reply to
Bruce Favinger

Mine too. Thanks, troll.

Reply to
mark_newton

They may be all that. But we are just trying to figure where all the money went. In Iraq where billions in cash have evaporated or here in Texas where the economy is supposed to be great, we don't have enough money. No one knows exactly how it gets spent, where it went, how it got lost, who was supposed to account for it, and there is no one blame. Rumsfeld sums things up very well........"stuff happens". "But, they are doing a great job". Poor Brownie, he's about the only one who was doing "a great job" and got the ax instead of a promotion. Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Favinger

Bruce Favinger wrote: : : They may be all that. But we are just trying to figure where all the money : went. In Iraq where billions in cash have evaporated or here in Texas where : the economy is supposed to be great, we don't have enough money. : As one of the founding fathers observed: Politicians are like diapers - both need to be changed often.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden

And for the same reason?

-- Cheers

Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

The government is not supposed to be in the railroad business. Things like Amtrak and historic railroads should be paid for by those who want them, instead of sucking at the taxpayer's teat. If you can't find a way to make it work, tough. That's life.

Reply to
raydunakin

The way government runs parks is shameful. Not because they are underfunded, but because they waste too much funds on frivolous crap (glitzy "visitor's centers", etc). They tax you to pay for the land, tax you again to "use" it (even though you aren't consuming anything but air), and they treat the true owners (the public) like dirt.

Reply to
raydunakin

It's another waste of money. School should be about education, not games.

,
Reply to
raydunakin

That's one vote, but that's all it is. If people decide the function of government is to run a railroad, then it is. If they don't care, then let it go down the toilet. These days, seems like a lot of people in Texas don't care about a lot of stuff, which explains why the whole state is pretty much going down the toilet.

Reply to
SocSecTrainWreck

Yes...it's that simple. I like it. That's pretty much the way its been for me and most folks I know. It could be even more simple, more pure and more efficient. How about if the tax tit sucking leadership lie, cheat, are incompetent, make a mistake, do not anticipate correctly or otherwise fail to make things work in a fair, efficient and immediate fashion they are given a rope and a quick drop. Then we take everything they have and tell their devastated families......tough......that's life. Next! Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Favinger

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: : : The government is not supposed to be in the railroad business. ; Well, that's your opinion. I note, however, that at least two state run tourist railroads bring in a fair bit of cash to economically depressed areas of three states. : : Things : like Amtrak and historic railroads should be paid for by those who want : them, : Amtrak, I would tend to agree with. However, sweeping statements are often tripped up by exceptions, and should be used sparingly.

As for the Tx St RR, well, Governor Goodhair may be out a job soon, and the decision to ax the start parks budget may to reviewed.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden

Bruce, What's the political temperature down there in Austin? Here in Dallas it seems that most approve of Goodhair and other Reds. Especially those that stand up for high priority divisionary legislation such as anti-abortion, anti gay, and anti-flag burning laws. No one is worried about trivial things like education, the parks, the environment, the poor, the homeless, civil rights, liberty or the war. Why would anyone vote for un-patriotic people who are concerned about such anti-American things? Since they also have redistricting and own the folks who count votes in a number of places I would think that they are in like Flint for the next elections here in Texas and across the nation. Public opinion against them won't be enough. The opposition I see are mostly un-coordinated piss willies. Many people justifiably might think they would make an even bigger mess out of things than the Neocons. And the propaganda machine will be working overtime at levels of Roveian productivity never seen before to insure enough people stick with them even if they have to hold their nose while voting. Just watch the up coming elections on Fox Faux News and see the Reds gain ground. Hope I'm wrong but I doubt it. There are much greater things to be concerned about but I'm still going to miss the TSRR. But who really needs historic places or relics? Not the scarlet red Ann Coulter-Republicans whe have around here. They are re-writing American history anyway just as Bill O'Reilly and Fox News have dome swiftboating our brave dead men by accusing them with the atrocities at Malmedy. I just wonder how many Fox viewers ( probablt most )believed this disgusting lie and accepted it as O'Reilly's twisted justification for Rumsfeld's wink-wink nod-nod stuff happens atrocities in Iraq. Bruce

"Bruce Burden" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@enews2.newsguy.com...

Reply to
Bruce Favinger