Chrome removal

Ok, here's another question for you folks, since I've had such great responses to my previous questions. What is the safest/most efficient way to remove chrome from plastic model parts? Often I find myself working with a piece that would better be painted, yet trying to properly paint over the chrome tends to yield unsatisfactory results. As always, all input is very much appreciated.

Randy

We're living in a world that's been pulled over our eyes to blind us from the truth. Where are you, white rabbit?

randy pavatte

I put it in a big zip lock back while outside, spray on some Easy off oven cleaner (yellow can) to front and back, seal the bag, and wait. Later open it, run water in it until it overflows and dilutes the cleaner, remove and brush off the lingering bits on the parts. Chrome usually comes off really fast, like a few minutes. Keep it off the skin and avoid breathing fumes and you'll be OK.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Hiett

One word; bleach. I've seen it remove the 'chrome' from minutes to overnight. It's also readily avaiable and very inexpensive.

Frank Kranick IPMS/USA 20352

randy pavatte wrote:

Reply to
Francis X. Kranick, Jr.

An automotive degreaser called Castrol Super Clean. Sold in gallon jugs in the automotive section at Wal-Mart...$5-6/gallon. It's also an excellent paint stripper, won't harm stryrene plastic (clear parts too!)

Just immerse the part into a closed container of CSC. In 30mins the chrome is gone, no toothbrushes, no scrubbing. If you're stripping chrome from a Tamiya kit (some kits have an oddly-colored yellow primer underneath the chrome)the part will have to bathe overnight to eliminate that primer as well.

Wear gloves. It's strong stuff (not enough to cause burns) but it has the potential of drying out your skin.

Sat

Reply to
Saturn S. Padua

Oven cleaner in a sealed container or, with adequate ventilation. Ezy Off is strong enough for most chrome.

Reply to
The Raven

I second bleach. Standard house bleach. My experiences whit it is that it removes chrome in few minutes.

Bye, Rodolfo.

"Francis X. Kranick, Jr." wrote:

Reply to
Rodolfo

Pine Sol or cheap dollar store Pine cleaner. I used the dollar store version recently to dechrome the parts in a Lincoln Futura. The process took 12 hours or overnight and I wisked off the chrome with an old toothbrush. Cheers, Max Bryant

Reply to
Max Bryant

in article eqNpb.78081$ao4.219362@attbi_s51, Max Bryant at snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote on 11/4/03 7:00 AM:

Household bleach works the same way. Pine Sol smells a bit better however.

MB

Reply to
Milton Bell