old motor info

I pulled the motor on my ancient shaper tonight. Its nameplate was full of surprises. The first one is it's a 220/440 3 phase motor, 3/4 hp, which draws TWENTY FIVE AMPS at 220 volts. Gotta be starting surge.

Reason I'm posting is the motor is an obsolete 161 frame. I'm wondering if any of you geniuses have an old electrical book that has frame specs for a 161 frame. I'm idly contemplating a single-phase conversion for this machine.

Grant

Reply to
Grant Erwin

How is the motor hooked up to the machine, via belt or direct drive?

Modern motors are usually smaller than old, for the same HP, so you would likely be able to successfully fit a new motor in place of old, maybe by adding some spacers or some such.

I also have an old frame Peerless motor... 1/2 HP... Also got a Doerr

1 HP 56 frame... i
Reply to
Ignoramus27276

The motor is bolted to a rack which you can crank in and out. On the shaft of the motor is installed a variable speed pulley, two cast iron sheave halves that are pressed together with a strong spring. As the motor is pulled away from the jackshaft by the crank screw, the sheaves move apart so the effective pulley radius becomes smaller and the machine slows down.

Anyway, it's a belt, albeit a VS belt.

I have lots of old motors too, but I don't want to do anything until I find the old frame specs, see what I'm dealing with.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

For NEMA frames, the first two digits give the shaft height in 1/4"; third digit codes the length between the mounting holes.

See:

NEMA Quick Reference Chart:

(Which doesn't have 161 listed.)

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Grant,

Why not run it from your regular rotary phase converter?

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Sounds very clever.

Sounds like an interesting shaper, though I do not see why not keep the original motor...

Ignoramus4143

I'm thinking resale value. I *am* running it from my RPC now.

GWE

Robert Sw> Grant,

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Why piss around with it? Weld up an adapter plate or a set of adapter rails and stick on a suitble 1ph motor.

Gunner

"If I'm going to reach out to the the Democrats then I need a third hand.There's no way I'm letting go of my wallet or my gun while they're around."

"Democrat. In the dictionary it's right after demobilize and right before demode` (out of fashion).

-Buddy Jordan 2001

Reply to
Gunner

Grant sez:

"I'm thinking resale value. I *am* running it from my RPC now."

No way, Jose ! You put all that TLC into it and you won't want to part with it.

Bob Swinney

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Might it be 2.5 amps? A fairly efficient 3/4 hp three phase motor with a power factor of 0.8 would draw about 2.5 amps.

1.732 * 0.8 * 220 * 2.5 = 762 watts 3/4 hp = 3/4 * 746 = 560 watts

I've made the mistake of missing decimal points through layers of dirt several times.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Could be. It's back in place now, very difficult to look at. I held my camera under there and shot a pic:

It does look like 2.5 rather than 25. Well, that's a relief.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Hey Grant,

Good pix for bad location!!

That's a "hand-stamped" plate. I wonder if is just a "misprint". I have a number of old motor catalogues and info stuff, and nothing is mentioned about a "161". 160 and 162, but no 161. Any chance of getting empirical measurement details and then looking at a chart?

And definitely it's 2 point 5 amps at 220 VAC , and 1 point 3 at the higher voltage (440?).

Take care.

Brian Laws>Christ>>

Reply to
Brian Lawson

The motor is a bitch to remove, but I've done it before. There is a VS drive unit on the shaft, covers it entirely, probably been on there since 1930 or so. The VS unit covers the end of the shaft so you can't use a puller to remove it. I was sort of dreading pulling it. If I pulled the motor and removed the VS sheave then I'd have done all the work I'm trying to avoid by looking up the frame number - after all, that's why motor frames are numbered.

There are vague references here and there to 161 frames, so it seems believable to me.

I would be interested in the frame specs for 160 and 162 in case they had stuff in common, might be able to infer a 161 spec as being the same?

Thanks for looking!

Grant Erwin

Reply to
Grant Erwin

NEMA wants $236 for the standard that describes the different motor frames:

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Hi Grant,

Have you tried contacting Sterling Electric just for the heck of it? See:

"Your source for quality motors and reducers since 1927"

Western US Offices: 800-474-0520 Toll Free

949-474-0520 Local 949-474-0543 Fax 16752 Armstrong Avenue - Irvine, CA 92606

Sales Department: 800-654-6220

snipped-for-privacy@sterlingelectric.com

Try giving them the link to your picture/image of the motor data-plate. If nothing else they may get a chuckle from it :)

Reply to
Leon Fisk