Need help sourcing a new motor

Is it burnt out ?

Waste of money rewinding it. You are looking for a three phase 1/4 Hp 6 pole motor as yours is rated for 940 rpm. Do you need 940 rpm as a 4 pole at 1425 will be easier to find and a lot cheaper.

John s.

Reply to
John S

Curses, sorry about that little glitch, I'll try and actually get the message in this time!

I'm getting around to sorting the table feed motor out on my Marlow mill, it's an old Gryphon 1/4hp job 440V 3ph. I had the main drive motor refurbed and sorted to work from an inverter a couple of years back, alas the company that did that have vanished. So I took this motor to another local place. Left it with the secretary and they were supposed to get back to me with a price. 4 weeks later and no phone call I popped in as I was passing. They found my motor on the shelf disassembled and then told me they couldn't do the conversion, only option was a complete rewire at £170+VAT. Erm no ta.

So I asked them if they had anything available I could use instead. Blokey had a look through his catalogues and then his shelves and came up with a

220/440V motor. Alas not ideal as it wasn't a flange mount so I'd have to bugger around coming up with some way of mounting it.

The tricky thing about this motor is its long shaft, it sticks out just shy of 3" from its flange. Has anyone got access to motor catalogues and can see if they can find me a suitable alternative? I'd like to stick with 3ph as I've got an inverter already and that'll make reversing the motor simpler, however I'll consider a single phase set up if someone can prove an idiot proof guide to wiring up the start/stop/reverse switches.

Specs are 1/4hp Flange mount

5/8" dia. shaft (16mm alternative would be fine), about 3" exposed. 940rpm (not a major problem if it's faster, if running from an inverter)

Here's some pics of the old bugger. Could definitely do with a clean up, I also bet it could be sorted to work on 220V and the company just couldn't be bothered.

Cheers, Rob

Reply to
Robbus

Extend the shaft on a standard motor. Not difficult with a lathe and fixed steady. c

Reply to
Charles P

Hi John,

I've put more details in the full post. I don't know if it's burnt out as I've never seen it running, it's definitely a bit rough around the edges in there though but might clean up fine.

A 4 pole motor would be fine as I'd be able to turn the speed down with the inverter, probably simpler to do that than rely on the actual table feed gearbox to be honest. It seems like the tricky part is finding a motor with the long shaft these days.

Cheers, Rob

Reply to
Robbus

Gotta lathe?

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Nope!

Cheers, Rob

Reply to
Robbus

Is this any good?

240/ 440 volt 1/4Hp 1380 rpm flange fitting, small flange B15 size, 11mm shaft which is standard for this frame motor can have a jack shaft fitted.

John S.

Reply to
John S

Ask him what it will cost on todays prices for copper

Oh and by the way I can nearly buy two brand new ones for that price, German or Italian not Chinese although the Chinese now own Brookes.

John S.

Reply to
John S

I would disagree. Many old motors have exemplary build quality, and they look right on an older machine tool. Rewind prices vary considerably, but it's worth researching.

Paul at Shropshire Rewinds in Whitchurch does good work at reasonable prices. His number is 01948 663388.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Sorry ? I missed that bit where the OP said it needed it to look the same, I thought we were talking about getting a machine up and running again seeing as he mentioned inverter's which wouldn't have been fitted in

19 ought plonk.

John S.

Reply to
John S

I think there is a reasonable chance that the motor could be converted for 240 V operation without a rewind. You can see a few glass fibre sleeves in the pictures. One likely covers the star point. If you are good at careful cutting and soldering, you may be able to cut open the star point and rewire the motor for delta connection. There's a possibility that the company you asked didn't want to attempt a conversion, as it is somewhat risky. This is assuming, of course, that the motor is not wired for delta connection already. If it is, you can't convert it.

I have successfully converted a Brook motor in this way in the past. If you want to try it, feel free to ask me any questions. Jim Cox's two books on electric motors also give some advice on the subject of conversions.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

By the way, Paul charged me £65 for rewinding a 1/4 hp single phase motor in 2005.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

They'll look wrong on an old machine, no matter how cheap they are.

Whether or not you care about that is a personal thing.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

He didn't. But if you're like me, you might think it important, so I thought I'd mention it.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Morning!

I understand where you're coming from Chris, getting the original motor working would be ideal as then it's a straight forward fit, job done and indeed would look more the part. However the £170+vat I was quoted definitely put me off going that route. Incidentally I paid £60 for the main motor to be refurbed and rewired to delta a couple of years back. I'm kicking myself now that I didn't get the table motor done at the same time but it was very low priority then.

It's a shame I don't still live up in Cheshire as it would be worth talking to your guy in Whitchurch, alas here I am in the Fens where such things as electrickery are still feared as witchcraft ;)

If anybody does know of any places that can do the job around Huntingdon/P'Boro/Cambridge area I'd be interested. The company I used for the drive motor was Ace Rewinds Ltd, they appear to have vanished of the face of the planet alas.

Cheers, Rob

Reply to
Robbus

Hi John,

That looks the business. By jack shaft do you mean something semi complicated with gears, or just a simple extension bar that fits over the end of the motor shaft?

Either way, what sort of money would you be looking for - inc. postage alas as I never seem to find myself up your neck of the woods these days?

Cheers, Rob

Reply to
Robbus

I think he does work by mail order, if the motor isn't too heavy.

It's possible to do yourself, if you feel confident with a knife and soldering iron, and take it slowly. If you want any help, just let me know.

If you replace the motor, it's worth keeping the original in case you ever sell the milling machine.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Hi Chris,

That's an idea. The motor is surprisingly hefty (built to last as it were) but could be delivered I guess. Starts adding to the cost though.

Thanks for the offer, in all reality I think it's best left in the hands of a competent type otherwise it will end up requiring a full rewind ;)

Absolutely, I've still got the original 3-phase switch gear for that very reason.

Cheers, Rob

Reply to
Robbus